Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i used this program called "unetbootin" to put the ISO of Ubuntu 8.0.4 or an a USB stick. well i can boot into the thing and i push "install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install Linux without CD-ROM drive?

Hello, i used this program called "unetbootin" to put the ISO of Ubuntu 8.0.4 or an a USB stick.

well i can boot into the thing and i push "install linux server" and it selects my language and keyboard and everything...

but then it says i have a uncommon CDROM drive and i need to like load drivers for it. Well, i don't have a CDROM drive.......

but no matter what i do, it wont let me past this point. please help. i am not a very linux expert sorry.

What type of hardware is plugged into this machine? SCSI drives, SATA drives? Anything out of the ordinary could show this error. Log in with your Live install, and execute
    Code:
    sudo lspci
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    The only thing plugged into it is:

• 2 Xeon quadcore processors
    • 4 sticks of 2gb ECC FBDIMM ram
    • 2 SATA drives (i want to install on either one, i dont care)
    • a cheap PCI video card
    • a PS/2 keyboard
    • and the USB stick I am trying to boot from

The POST flashes so fast i can't tell what it says, but everything seems to be working and it will boot into the ubuntu loader.

do i have to set up the image on the USB stick in a special way so it doesn't ask for CDROM drivers?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    okay i solved the problem. Instead of using the "unetbootin" program to put the iso image onto the USB stick, i did it manually by following these instructions:

Installation from USB Stick - Page 4 - Ubuntu Forums

from what some people were saying, this might be a bug with the installer of ubuntu 8.0.4 that it always checks for a CDROM unless you edit the files that this post says

here's some helpful links that helped me too:
    http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index..._Bootable_Disk
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

I'm glad you got it sorted! And thanks for posting back with the fix... cuz I was fairly stumped on this one!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.