Find the answer to your Linux question:
All. I have a system (i386) with a 15GB and a 80Gb HDD. When I install Debian or Fedora they format both disks and make them available for Linux. But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ubuntu vs debian/fedora

All.

I have a system (i386) with a 15GB and a 80Gb HDD. When I install Debian or Fedora they format both disks and make them available for Linux. But when I try to install Ubuntu it installs itself on one of the disks and leaves the other one as it is. I don't like this because I have no info if after the trouble of installing Ubuntu I can access the other disk. I cancelled the installation because of this "feature". Does someone know if I can add a disk afterwards as Ubuntu does not add every HDD at installation time?

Quote Originally Posted by vdijken View Post
    All.

I have a system (i386) with a 15GB and a 80Gb HDD. When I install Debian or Fedora they format both disks and make them available for Linux. But when I try to install Ubuntu it installs itself on one of the disks and leaves the other one as it is. I don't like this because I have no info if after the trouble of installing Ubuntu I can access the other disk. I cancelled the installation because of this "feature". Does someone know if I can add a disk afterwards as Ubuntu does not add every HDD at installation time?
    Personally, I like the fact that Ubuntu doesn't automatically format every harddrive attached to my system. That sounds like a nightmare if I have anything on the other drive I need to keep.

But to answer your question, yes, you can most certainly add a harddrive later on and mount it in Ubuntu after the fact. It involves adding an entry into your /etc/fstab file if I'm not mistaken.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

During the partitioning phase of the installation of Ubuntu, there should be an option to use all available discs, or to specify your own partitioning scheme. You should be able to set it up as you want.

Even if you don't, there shouldn't be any problem with Ubuntu recognising the additional disc.

Welcome to the forum!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode