Find the answer to your Linux question:
Also my problem requires some crazy Linx GURU, Linus I need you I am attempting to install Archlinux, and I managed to destroy my system. I used the Installation from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Forcing an installation, Arch Linux

Also my problem requires some crazy Linx GURU, Linus I need you

I am attempting to install Archlinux, and I managed to destroy my system.

I used the Installation from existing Linux. Here
    Heres and overview

Basically the guide has you install Arch in the folder /newarch using the archlinux package manager. At the end I figured (incorrectly) that i was supposed to delete every thing but the /newarch folder and move its contents into /. After deleting everything but /newarch I realized that I had deleted Bash!?!?!?!

Now I am booting off of a Ubuntu Live disk because the Archlive didn't work. I still want Arch, and I managed to edit and set my fstab straight, and moved the /newarch to /, not the live disks / but the drive where / resides. Basically I got the drives to the point I think they should be, but look where I got me.

So now that I think I can boot my system, I restart and I got a Grub Error 15?? I believe (not sure) that it means that Grub doesn't know where to start the boot. So I would need to make a drive bootable. But I also managed to make this harder. I have partitioned my drive and now have a different partition for /boot /tmp /home / and /data (I already setup fstab for this and moved appropriate files to the right partitions).

So ... what now. Do I make my /boot partition bootable or the / partition, and how? I would really not like to reinstall Ubuntu. But reinstalling Grub or something else is fine.

Thank You for saving my system!!

I'm not an Arch user, so I'm hoping maybe ozar or Manchunian will pop-in with better advice. But if you're trying to install GRUB, I would put in in the / directory.
    As far as partitions to make, you might want just / and /home/ .And a swap partition.

*EDIT*

What is the output of
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    fdisk -l give this
    Code:
    Disk /dev/hdc: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/hdc1               1         365     2931831   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/hdc2             366        2189    14651280   83  Linux
    /dev/hdc3            2190        2432     1951897+  83  Linux
    /dev/hdc4            2433        7296    39070080    5  Extended
    /dev/hdc5            2433        3040     4883728+  83  Linux
    /dev/hdc6            3041        4864    14651248+  83  Linux
    /dev/hdc7            4865        7296    19535008+  83  Linux

So you'll have to make your / partition bootable. Boot up using the install disk (or a LiveCD) and execute as root
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/hdc
    You'll want to toggle the partition that holds / to be bootable.

*EDIT*

I forgot to mention earlier, if you don't remember the partition that holds /, you can find it with
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Last edited by jayd512; 10-10-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Really late after thought
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I have a separate partition for /boot and if I made / bootable then wouldn't the /boot not be mounted and thus not allowing me to run the kernel. Or does fstab execute before the kernel.

If this is the same subject as your later thread can you close this one and use the other thread ... I have posted example grub menu.lst entry in your other thread