Find the answer to your Linux question:
brand new to this but I am up to the challenge. I will try and keep this brief. failed a download of Mandriva 08 because I didnt understand the partition ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Install multiple distros? multiple boot screen?

brand new to this but I am up to the challenge. I will try and keep this brief. failed a download of Mandriva 08 because I didnt understand the partition part of the loader. managed to get it on there with instructions per the Mand forum about how to add the dual boot screen. I have a 75gig SATA in my Dell and have winxp on 50 gig of it. I have whats left 20 something for a Linux install. I was going to install PCLinuxOS because the partition part of the loader was more comprehensive than Mandriva. I am set to do that.
    I have ordered a new SATA HD for more space. it is 320 gig. Part of it will be partitioned to give me more NTFS file space for windows.
    I plan on installing multiple distros so I can get into this thoroughly and see what each is all about maybe 4 (later on Linux From Scratch, but thats later)
    I figure I can partition each section as I install another distro.
    but how to I set up the boot screen to chose to boot from Windows (now on the first 75gig drive) or select other distros I have installed on the 320 gig.
    yes I am making it complicated. With the original drive I don't have to use the smaller partition I have set aside for Linux I can just make that NTFS and that will be my windows boot drive. The 320 gig will be for different distros each with its own partition. (will have more questions like swap files and such but this is good for openers)
    sorry this is so lengthy. (yup, I intend to have scars from this )
    Thanks so much!

Hello and Welcome!

Installing multiple distros isn't a problem. Linux plays nice with other OS's. Just put the GRUB bootloader in the MBR. It'll let you choose which OS you want to boot to. Let us know which ones you want to go for and we'll help you as much as possible.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

sure, jayd512. I'll wait to get the drive and get it in the computer first. should be early in the week.

if I have windows booting on one drive, and my distros partitioned off on the other drive, that still wont make a difference will it?

as PCLinuxOS configures, I should configure a home partition a data partition and a swap partition for each distro?

figure about 20 gig for each distro or 25? less?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by j45000 View Post
    sure, jayd512. I'll wait to get the drive and get it in the computer first. should be early in the week.

if I have windows booting on one drive, and my distros partitioned off on the other drive, that still wont make a difference will it?

as PCLinuxOS configures, I should configure a home partition a data partition and a swap partition for each distro?

figure about 20 gig for each distro or 25? less?
    You can share one /swap and one /home among multiple distros, just be sure to use a different username for each distro or it'll get to be really confusing. Trust me on this. I think just for trying them out, each distro should be comfortable with 10 GB each.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux doesn't really care which hard drive contains what. It sees everything as a file, even hardware. So just find some space to use, run through the installer for the respective distro, and you should be in business. And, depending on what you'll be doing with it, most distros can be installed on a 10 Gig partition. And you can use the same swap partition for all of them, so you'll only need one swap.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

would that be true if I have one Linux distro on the smaller drive along with my WinXP as I am ready to do now, and just install the rest of the distros on partitions on the second larger HD.

so this means that I install one linux swap partition (twice my memory size) and that can be on the first harddrive. then each distro on a separate partition.

now PCLinuxOS wants me to install 2 partitions one home one swap and one I guess data. would it be better to follow that scheme for each distro? - two partitions to each distro and a common swap? I figure that way I can keep track of what distro is doing what rather than have one common data partition. dont remember what they call those partitions now but will review this weekend

? ? ?

All distros can share the same swap ... the only problem you may get is if you suspend to disk/hibernate.

Each distro will need a root partition, quite a few distros will also try to create a home partition as well. The default partition schemes will typically try to use all drive space available ... I create the partitions first using PartedMagic and then just select manual partitioning during the install.

There is no right way to partition, there are pros and cons to each approach. I tend to have the root partition, and a separate partition for genuine user data ... things like documents, photos etc, and a shared home partition. Some like to use a separate home partition for each distro, others share a home partition for several distros etc ... keep in mind you only have 15 partitions to play with on most drives. If you share a home partition with different distros then be careful otherwise you can end up overwriting data from one distro with another