Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Did you download Ubuntu Server ? If you want the GUI, download Ubuntu Desktop Edition instead....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Did you download Ubuntu Server?
    If you want the GUI, download Ubuntu Desktop Edition instead.

Just Joined!

well yes and no

I've now, thanks in no small part to all of you XD , have CD's for Ubuntu 8.04 server and desktop.

I tried server out first, since in my line of work the linux boxes I come into contact with will be servers, when I found that there was no gui pre-installed and that I had not the knowledge of the commands to setup anything I then decided to install Ubuntu 8.04 desktop over it until I get used to the commands and gain come confidence in my abilities using the linux commands.

I'm now running a dual boot XP/x86 desktop Ubuntu system. I now need to gain newbie knowledge of commands and finding my way around the linux OS. Right now I'm mainly focused on getting the comp on my network at home.

I've looked at my TCP/IP settings from when I'm on windows, and my DNS is myhome.westell.com, I'm not sure if I can use this instead of a numerical address... if so how do I, and if not how do I find the numerical address of it? I haven't spent a lot of time on this yet... so I might find the answer myself, but it was 5am by the time I got the desktop iso burned and installed so I went to bed instead of messing with it anymore lol XD

Oh yea and how do I get the drivers for my hardware Dell Inspirion 1525 I can't download them right to the comp because my hardware isn't working til I get the drivers, especially my wireless card, because my home network is wireless... I'll try to hard wire it up to my router when I get home but I don't know if that will work since I only have the text DNS name atm.

It looks like from this forum that I should be able to get to the drivers somehow without getting on my network first.
    http://www.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83728
    I feel like a little kid in DOS for the first time lol... kinda exciting
    Last edited by msaddict; 10-14-2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: drivers

Quote Originally Posted by msaddict View Post

I'm now running a dual boot XP/x86 desktop Ubuntu system. I now need to gain newbie knowledge of commands and finding my way around the linux OS. Right now I'm mainly focused on getting the comp on my network at home.

I've looked at my TCP/IP settings from when I'm on windows, and my DNS is myhome.westell.com, I'm not sure if I can use this instead of a numerical address... if so how do I, and if not how do I find the numerical address of it? I haven't spent a lot of time on this yet... so I might find the answer myself, but it was 5am by the time I got the desktop iso burned and installed so I went to bed instead of messing with it anymore lol XD
    Your best bet is to submit a new thread, now that you have Ubuntu up and running, in the Networking section of the forum. Don.t forget to post your computer specs, distro, and give as much detail as you can so you can have quick, knowledgeable answers. Welcome to using Linux, msaddict.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Once again thanks everyone for making my migration as painless as possible XD
    I feel so relieved to be taking these first steps away MS

many thanks

Sincerly,
    MSaddict

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2