Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i have tried a couple distros, namely ubuntu 8.something for 64 bit amd and intel ( i'm on a dell 1525 with core2 duo proccessor ) and the latest opensuse, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help with making iso disc

i have tried a couple distros, namely ubuntu 8.something for 64 bit amd and intel ( i'm on a dell 1525 with core2 duo proccessor ) and the latest opensuse, on the opensuse i used the bit torrent method and picked all the correct options after referring to their tutorial...

i've used winmd5sum on the iso and double checked that the sums match...btw this is my first attempt at migrating away from windows...i've used both infraburner and isorecorder to burn these as images without making the disc bootable... my hard drive is all unallocated space i deleted all dos partitions using fdisk and... that's about where i am

note: i have tried to use cfdisk and the like via floppy .. and i'm down to 6 more cdr's so ... that .tar file for fdisk i can't seem to get to run.. i had vista pre installed on this comp when i bought it.. though not by choice....

i think i'm still burning the distros to cdr improperly though i can't figure out what i'm doing wrong ... please help my migrate away from windows .. ty

Do you still have Vista working and your downloaded iso's that you want to burn?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

If you put the cd in a computer that has an OS loaded(windows, linux whatever) what contents are in the cd? Have you by any chance copied the iso file in the cd, so it is not bootable? In NERO & K3b you must select burn image or something like that.

Also, make sure you burn them at a low speed. Sometimes burning at a higher speed can cause a bad burn to occur. A good freeware program that I have used to burn most of my distros is Alex Feinman's Power Toy.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can check this HowTo for making sure you do all the steps correctly in getting your disk created and booted:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    First of all thank you all for the polite and timely responses XD

I have indeed used the links you've posted and followed those directions to the best of my ability. I burned the cd's at x4 speed and used the winmd5sum to chk that the sums matched.

rockytnj... i have XP currently installed on the comp i was trying to put linux on and i have vista on the other.. yes i still have the iso's

l4linux...actually the vista comp wont let me explore the newest cd's i've made and on the others it shows one iso file .. not the multiple folders and what not that i'm supposed to see, not sure what i've done wrong there

would it be easier for me to do a network install? i need to get a linux box up and running so that by the time i've finished my AAS (mid december) i'll have some hands on with linux and making linux and windows talk to each other over network.. would be nice to have that experience when i go up for my first IT position XD

Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Here is Netrwork install for Ubuntu using Wubi

Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows

And Another Ubuntu installer just out this month

Portable Ubuntu for Windows
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Newbie
    the have great suggestions. whai i use (and wholeheartedly DO NOT reccomend), i daemon tools lite. it makes a virtual dvd drive you can mount iso images to, and copy the contents to a real cd. it's how i burned my ubuntu and xubuntu cds.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Here are some easy tutorials with Pictures to help you on your way then.
    thank you very much the youtube vids were especially helpfull.. i'm i just finished burning the iso again.. bout to try it out, wish me luck

well it worked XD finally.. now imagine my surprise to find no gui lol ... like i said first time linux user
    so now i'm chking out a few tutorials on how to load the gui and setup the network not to mention finding command lists and what they do lol

also making a desktop install disk just incase i can't get this gui figured out.. once again thanks for all the help and any links to good tutorials on my new probs would be much appreciated can't wait to become a decent linux user
    Last edited by msaddict; 10-14-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: .. i got it to work!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast