Find the answer to your Linux question:
A while ago, i had a thread on Linux Mint, asking about the installation, when Root and Home partitions come up. Well, i figure i'm almost set to install linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

mulitiple distributions and partitions

A while ago, i had a thread on Linux Mint, asking about the installation, when Root and Home partitions come up. Well, i figure i'm almost set to install linux (just need the computer, already have a couple of Ubuntu LiveCDs, and have settled on a model, Dell Inspiron 1525), and figured i should get the last details ironed out. Oddly, i've been at this stage for a while (the economy, can't get a job right now, and anybody under the age of 18 can't be a slave, so i lose some opportunities there). I've been ducking in and out of the Coffee Lounge, and popping around the other forums in case i can be of some help (which is seldom the case). It's odd that i've been here a couple of months, but not been too helpful...

Anyway, heres my question(s):
    Can I have a Root and Home setup for several OSes and still boot Windows (i am going to have Ubuntu, but have been eyeballing Fedora a bit, too)?

And, is it logical to have a home partition if i'm only going to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu?

well, that's it for now. i'll keep coming back for my odd questions.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by arinlares View Post
    Anyway, heres my question(s):
    Can I have a Root and Home setup for several OSes and still boot Windows (i am going to have Ubuntu, but have been eyeballing Fedora a bit, too)?

And, is it logical to have a home partition if i'm only going to dual-boot Windows and Ubuntu?
    Yes, you can.

If you share a /home partition between distros, you'll need to log into each distro using a different username. Note that doing this can lead to some confusion. You don't have to use a /home partition if you don't want it though, and the user files can reside in a home folder under the root partition.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    if i don't use a home partition, but have a 60 GB Ubuntu partition, with about 10GB full, would it be possible to resize the Ubuntu partition without losing the Ubuntu data? I'm trying to learn the risks and factors involved. thanks for the rename and move, by the way.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by arinlares View Post
    if i don't use a home partition, but have a 60 GB Ubuntu partition, with about 10GB full, would it be possible to resize the Ubuntu partition without losing the Ubuntu data? I'm trying to learn the risks and factors involved.
    Yes, the PartedMagic LiveCD can easily shrink the Ubuntu partition to make room for another distro. There's always a chance for data loss when working with partitions, so backups are always recommended, but I've never lost any when I've used it.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    as far as backing up goes, is it simpler to just save the /home directory? i know, worst case, the os would just need to be installed. i'm not 100% on how linux stores files. would all of my program files be in /home?

Applications usually install in /usr/bin, or where defined in $PATH. When I backup my data I either backup just my personal files (photos, documents etc) or I make an image of the partition in case I totally destroy the installation.
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041