Find the answer to your Linux question:
I would like to make as the title suggests my xp installation only boot via a linux bootloader (eg: lilo, grub) so that all you get if you boot the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Making XP only bootable via usb key/sd chip

I would like to make as the title suggests my xp installation only boot via a linux bootloader (eg: lilo, grub) so that all you get if you boot the system without said key you will only get boot disk errors.

If anyone knows of a project on doing just this a link would be awesome or even some suggestions on how to get it to work.

Install Boot Loader in MBR of Windows XP disk and its conf files ( gurb.conf or menu.lst file ) in USB key.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

ok thanks for the quick responce.

before i even start working on this a quick side question is would this be possible using an SD chip intead of usb key

I have never used SD Chip for this but I think its possible to use SD Chip too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I think you may get an error displayed and then a grub prompt ... this will not stop someone who knows what they are doing typing
    Code:
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    and starting Windows anyway ... but it will stop someone booting straight from a menu.
    What is your reason for wanting to do this ?

purpose is to make people in my house hold think this pc wont work- they do not know enough to do anything about this
    infact they probly wouldnt know what ntldr is.

this would however make it very easy to simply slip an sd chip into a stealthed reader before boot