Find the answer to your Linux question:
My hard disk has a spare partition on which I want to install a new distro, but my CD drive doesn't work and my BIOS doesn't seem to support booting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

booting from an iso without a CD drive

My hard disk has a spare partition on which I want to install a new distro, but my CD drive doesn't work and my BIOS doesn't seem to support booting from a USB stick. I considered using virtual box to boot a live cd image but then I'd need to allow the virtual machine access to my hard drive partition. Is there any way of making grub boot just from an iso without using a CD?

Unetbootin will allow installation over the internet without the need for CD or booting from USB. Just make sure that you have a stable internet connection!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

I'm slightly worried however at the fact that my options are all live distros. Is it possible to boot from an ISO without installing it so I can then extract a non-live version to the hard drive?

Unetbootin doesn't involve LiveCD's. It's a tool for a complete installation.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I think I misunderstood what it was doing there.