Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
:o i386? i686? I need to know since I plan to put a Linux distribution on a Celeron laptop. -Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is Celeron?

:o i386? i686?

I need to know since I plan to put a Linux distribution on a Celeron laptop.
    -Thanks

Linux Guru
    Usually, you don't need to know unless compiling a kernel, and I think that there is a seperate entry for Celeron when choosing processor type for the kernel. Anyway, as I recall, it's Intel's "budget model" of the Pentium III, with lots of less cache and stuff. I'm not sure what Pentium III is, but I think it is i586. Those numbers don't really say everything, though, because there are lots of other IA32 variants than what they can list. They're more like general guidelines, but I wouldn't bet that you can run code compiled for i686 on a Celeron.

Just Joined!
    heh, that looks like a bunch of "mumbo jumbo" to me =P

all i know is ...when i install linux on one partition, the Windows Partition displays a NTLDR cannot be found error. When I install windows on the windows partition again...i can't run linux at startup! bah...this is why i figure its better to have Linux on a one OS system. So, I put it on my laptop and it works great. I was up 'til 1:00 AM just toying with the settings, looking at some of the games...and being annoyed by the Amusing Misuse of Resources (AMOR) I have one more question. This is Mandrake 9.1 and im emberassed to say I don't know how to shut down the computer without logging out first and then clicking halt. Maybe this is the only way ?o_O?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by psx1337
    when i install linux on one partition, the Windows Partition displays a NTLDR cannot be found error.
    This can be caused by not having Windows on the first partition of the drive. The Windows partition might have to be physically first. The reason that I'm saying might and can is because it was like this in older versions, when the boot loader didn't know how to use LBA, but I don't know if they might have fixed it by now. Considering it being Microsoft, however, I wouldn't bet that they have.
    When I install windows on the windows partition again...i can't run linux at startup!
    That's true! One of the best (uhm...) things about Windows is that, when you install it, it overwrites the master boot loader with its own, whether you want it to or not. Therefore, you must either install Windows first, and then Linux, or install Linux first, then Windows, then reinstall GRUB as the master boot loader.
    I don't know how to shut down the computer without logging out first and then clicking halt.
    I don't know about KDE, but if you're using GNOME and click log out in the menu, you can, just like in Windows, choose between shutting down, rebooting and logging out.
    But then again, why turn it off at all? My computer has now been up 14 days, 1 hour and 12 minutes (don't misunderstand me, it didn't crash then, I just did some electrical installations which required me to pull the plug).

Of course, I can't help encouraging you to have Linux as the sole operating system on the computer! Keep in mind, though, that the reason why you can't have both right now (it is possible, I assure you), is not because of Linux, but of Windows.
    Also rest assured that it has nothing with your Celeron processor to do.

Just Joined!

Re: What is Celeron?

:o i386? i686?

I need to know since I plan to put a Linux distribution on a Celeron laptop.
    -Thanks
    it's a p2 with less cache, a p2 is an i686.

as far as i know:
    386 = i386
    486 = i386
    586 = i586
    Pentium (extra instructions) i686

that is only bassed on what people told me, so don't bite my head off if i'm wrong

Linux Guru
    I'm not really sure about that either. I think pentium = 585, and pentium 4 = 686, but I'm not certain. It doesn't really apply to AMD processors, either.

Just Joined!
    the p4 is quite new, i686 has been around for ages!
    all athlons are i686 compatible as far as i know. the k6 isn't even i386 fully compatible because it won't run win95.
    but then again, win95 is 2% 32bit and 98% 16bit so i kinda don't blame the k6.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, all AMD processors are fully IA32 compatible, of course, and most often compatible to their Intel counterparts, but they often implement functions on their own, which means that an i686 package probably won't take advantage of eg. the 3DNow functionality of AMD processors.
    I guess i686 has been around longer than the P4, now that you mention it, but I don't think it traces as far back as the P2.
    I wouldn't say that the K6 isn't fully IA32 compatible just because it doesn't run Win95. Somehow I get the feeling that Win95 just might not be fully IA32 compatible... =)

Anyway, all I wanted to say is that those numbers don't _really_ mean anything, except that an i386 package will run on any IA32 compatible architecture.

Just Joined!
    u think as i do. i'm still a linux n00b, but if u had the source, get an athlon compiler, and away u go!
    i'm quite sure tho that the p2 supports i686, after all, the cyrix 686 was around the pentium 1 days (not that i means much).
    anyway, i've installed an i686 rpm package on my celeronA 366@550 (it would go faster, but the heat transfer from the core to the heatsing is very poor because it's not fcpga) and it went allong fine, and as we all know a celeronA (mendocino core) is bassed on the pentium II core with less cache.

Linux Guru
    Is celeron based on the P2? I could bet it's based on the P3, but maybe that's a newer version of the celeron?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast