Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandrake 9.1

0 0%
  • RedHat 9.0

2 66.67%
  • or even Slackware 8.1

1 33.33%
hi....i have installed mandrake on my pc...everything is A OK!!....but there is one problem...it freezes on boot just below the line: apm: BIOS VERSION....... i have tried to install LILO ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake Hangs on Boot!! HHHHEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP

hi....i have installed mandrake on my pc...everything is A OK!!....but there is one problem...it freezes on boot just below the line:

apm: BIOS VERSION.......

i have tried to install LILO on the root partition instead of the master boot record...but the problem persists...can anyone help....

i have another question...what is so special about RedHat and why is it on 3 discs....one more thing....do I need al 3 discs to install RedHat....just wondering

Linux Engineer
    Lilo or grub should be installed on Masterboot record. Redhat is on 3 discs with evertyhing on it installed. If you dont have included everything its possible that you dont have to use all 3.

Have you been able to boot any other linux installation on this pc?? maybe its just an old bios?

Regards
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    Try toying around with the power management settings in your BIOS and see if it makes it better.

Just Joined!
    yep....i had slackware installed on before..and everything is ok.....the lilo under slackware was installed under the hardisk partition and everything is ok...i tried to install lilo on the mbr (slackware) but i get:

kerna panic: no init found

so i reinstalled the whole thing again on the 1st hardisk partition and everything was good as gold

Just Joined!
    oh....i forgot to tell yous....the md5 sums matched perfectly!!....

btw....what is the difference between Mandrake and RedHat cause I am downloading RedHat 9 at the moment??

Linux Guru
    Oh, Mandrake and RedHat are just different distros. That means that they're basically just configured a little different, components are compiled with slightly different compile-time options, they might look a bit different and so. It's basically the same components being used through everyone, though. The differences are in the setup.

Just Joined!
    kool....but could you help me with my original problem....i just don't know what to do!! could you help??

Linux Guru
    Well, you could try another distro, since the kernels are probably compiled a little different, but first, do like I said and toy around a little with your BIOS' power management settings and see if that betters anything.

Just Joined!
    yup...you were right....i disabled my power managment in the BIOS setup and everything went fine....but a new problem croped up...the log in screen is not loading and the X server keeps restarting.....until it reaches about the 5th time and it just reverts to the console login.....and when i type:

startx

the thing starts but takes ages -- and I mean ages -- 30 minutes and the server just terminates.....

something is seriously wrong....

and the problem is....no error messages come up..in the console or the X server........
    can anyone help??

Linux Guru
    Does it say anything useful in /var/log/XFree86.0.log?