Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using Fedora 8 for sometime without problem on a dual boot with Windows XP, yesterday, i went to boot into XP to used Adobe Photoshop (located on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Fedora 8 System Error

I have been using Fedora 8 for sometime without problem on a dual boot with Windows XP, yesterday, i went to boot into XP to used Adobe Photoshop (located on XP) and when i went to load Fedora, it doesnt load. Straight to windows.

This has happened to me before, all i did to fix it was insert my Fedora Live CD, Rescue Installed System, then edited GRUB to load Fedora instead of XP as default. That was some time ago. Now, when i insert my cd and open a shell, it gives me an error saying that my system couldnt be mounted under "/mnt/sysimage". So the command "chroot /mnt/sysimage" doesnt work so i cant edit my GRUB.

So, i tried to upgrade Fedora in graphical and text mode, and i again get an error "

Code:
    Error mounting device UUID=51c73707-d893-4cf3-85d5-a559b07f464a as /: No such File or directory

Devices in /etc/fstab should be specified by label, not by device name.

Press OK to exit the installer
    Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

What you'll need to do is edit your /etc/grub.conf to allow to choose which OS you want. While I don't boot Windows on tis box, here's mine as an example. Just make a few adjustments and you should be good to go!

Code:
    #boot=/dev/sda
    default=1
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    hiddenmenu
    title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
            root (hd0,1)
            kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
            initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img

title CRUX (2.6.23.9)
            root (hd1,0)
            kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I know. Thats what ive been trying to do but since i cant access root, the command:

Code:
    nano /boot/grub/grub.conf
    doesnt work. Thats what im getting it. IT just says command not found. Same thing with nano /etc/grub.conf. I cant edit it in this way until i use chroot /mnt/sysimage (i think).

Any ideas? Perhaps of another way to edit GRUB?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You'll need to reset root password. Follow this How-To and see how it goes.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

How will resetting the root password help? When i run chroot i get the error
    Code:
    no such directory /bin/sh
    but when i run ls /bin it says there is a sh directory.

If it helps, i cant re-instal Fedora 8. I just get an error however this is the same error i get when i installed it the first time in ext3. It installed correctly when i used ext2 but now, since ive previously installed Fedora i cant seem to get it to install over Linux in ex2 as its inside a VolGroup.

How will resetting the root password help?
    By resetting the root password, you'll be able to edit /etc/grub.conf instead of having to chroot each time.
    Jay

New Member FAQ