Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, guys. Like most, I'm making the move from Windows to Linux for a number of reasons, the main one being that I was fed-up of the accursed BSoD. So, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow Advice needed regarding failed installation of 4 distributions.

Hi, guys. Like most, I'm making the move from Windows to Linux for a number of reasons, the main one being that I was fed-up of the accursed BSoD. So, after the last one, I formatted my drive and, after a bit of research, decided on:

openSUSE (DVD), as I just wanted something that I could install without messing about too much. I downloaded the DVD version (taking 22 hours!) and tried to install it. I got 2 error messages: "Failed to read information regarding installation images" (or similar) and then, a bit later on, I got "Error whilst installing."
    I tried again and got the same thing. I tried reburning the .iso and got the same. I tried using a different desktop(KTE, rather than Gnome); ditto.
    openSUSE CD: installed but whenever I tried to change the appearance of various things (windows, desktop) it would crash.

So, I tried Freespire (CD): the "Loading Linux Kernel" freezes at 30% and I've got to reboot to free it up. This happens when I'm booting from Live CD or installing onto the HD.

Mandriva: I can boot from the CD but when I try to install it, it freezes when I try to reboot to complete the installation. The bar gets to about 80% of the way across.

I realise I can buy any software I need but I don't know if it's going to be suitable so I'd rather download it.

Suggestions/advice?

Thanks in advance, Neill

Hello,

I think it is reasonable to suggest some hardware in your system is defective

GNU/Linux will not behave differently than Windows if this happens to be true.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

It sounds to me like your hardware is defective. I had a very similar issue to this a few weeks ago; when I changed my computer, I had no more problems. However, I would say one thing: do make sure you make good quality disks. By "good quality", I mean be careful to burn it slowly (8x max) and only use a CD once - indeed, it's best to use a recordable rather than a re-recordable disk. The compression involved in a Linux live CD is truly remarkable; but the result is that it's very easily corrupted.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Arrow

Hi, guys. Thanks for your insights. On some of the disks, there's an option to 'check the install media'. On all of them that I could, it showed a fault with the software/disk so, hopefully, it's just that.

That said, I did manage to get Mandriva to work...but after several hours of trying to get online, I deleted it. I use a Netgear WG111T, which, it would appear, is causing problems for a lot of people. I tried ndiswrapper and madwifi but really didn't have a clue what I was doing so I gave up. Due to personal circumstances, I can't afford to spend time messing about; I need something that's plug-n-play. I'm going to try downloading another distribution, or maybe try SUSE (my first choice) again but using a slow-burn.

Will let you know.

Thanks again.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can check this HowTo for making sure you properly download the ISO file, burn it to disk as an image, and then boot with the newly created installation disk:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

Hope you get better results on the next go around.
    oz

Linux Guru
    You may need to re-evaluate your expectations - this is not a Windows OS. If you are not able/willing to spend some time learning something new, I don't think you're going to be happy with the results. After the install, there will be much to get used to...

Something for reference.

If you are not able/willing to spend some time learning something new, I don't think you're going to be happy with the results.
    There is nothing in Echoance's post that suggests he's not willing to spend time learning something new. I think you're being too harsh there. OK, so he's perhaps switching too hasily from Mandriva to Suse, but people new to Linux aren't necessarily used to the idea that Linux occasionally needs a little tweaking to get it going. Most people just want to be able to turn on their computer and for it to work without messing around with their OS. It seems a legitimate enough desire to me.
    Echoance: Wifi can be problematic in Linux - although it's getting better and better. If you still don't get it working, I suggest you start a separate thread to help you set it up before you switch distros. If you are going to change, personally I'd go for Ubuntu - but Suse does have good hardware recognition (but then again, so too does Mandriva!)
    Good luck!

Just Joined!

Arrow

Hello, again.

Apart from the stability and security issues, the reason I want to get away from Windows is because I want control of what's on my system and how it works. Sadly, with Windows, there's only 'the MS way'.
    Windows is the only MS product I use; my browser is Firefox, Go-oo for office duties, Digsby (IM), GIMP, etc, so I'm already proficient with a lot of the open-source stuff and I prefer to use the keyboard for most things anyway; I'm not wholly-reliant on my (non-MS) mouse, although the callouses on my fingers are from bass-playing, not hacking!!
    It's not that I don't want to spend time learning Linux but, at the moment, I'm looking for a job (amongst other things) and so just need something that I can fire up and get on-line with. When I've got a job, then can I start customising it to my needs and looking into it further. In fact, having read "Linux is not Windows", especially the last chapter, I think that I'll just reinstall Windows and come back to Linux at a better time. Or maybe I'll install it alongside Windows and play with it as and when. I will be back, however, as I know that I want more (or is that less?) than Windows offers and it would seem that Linux will give me that.

Thanks for your replies. Even if you didn't help me with my problem, you did help me with my problem.

Ride safe, Neill

Hi Echoance,

I just had a similar experience trying to get at least one distro to work on an old HP. After several failures with other distros I had to do the alternate install of Ubuntu which is working... albeit slowly. I'm wondering if you might post the specs on your computer as it might be all hardware related. In my experience, newer machines take most major distros without much of a hitch, whereas older machines can give the very headaches you mention. The good news is, there are distros specifically designed for older or weaker hardware so one of those might install where the major distros won't. In the end, you have to do what's best for you. Good luck and thanks for visiting with us.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

In my opinion, Echoance, you're making a wise decision. Linux isn't difficult, but it does require time to get your head around it. When you've been formatted into working in a certain way, it's difficult to change afterwards. When you've got more time, you'll be able to tackle Linux head on. Right now, you don't need the extra stress of having to adapt to something different. When you're ready, come back here and we'll help you as much as we can.

Good luck with your job search (and the other stuff!) and see you soon!