Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Ah, that explains a lot. Actually, it seems that you must build it as a module instead. I know of no way to make it ignore drives when it's builtin....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Ah, that explains a lot. Actually, it seems that you must build it as a module instead. I know of no way to make it ignore drives when it's builtin.

Linux Engineer
    Well, that was the problem alright. After recompiling the kernel (for like the 5th time), it seems to be working.
    Earlier I asked you what groups /dev/hdc and /dev/scd* belonged to. You stated that these belong to the group disk and that you used pam_console to handle the user. Could you possibly lead me in the right direction of using pam_console? When I first installed linux, users told me to just change the group as cdrom and add the user to that group.
    BTW, when would the SCSI modules be unloaded? Is it after a certain amount of time?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    The thing is that pam_console came with my system already configured, so I'm not sure exactly how to set it up, but I'm sure that it says in the docs, though. Every PAM modules does come with pretty extensive documentation. I have checked it out at some time, so I know that it's pretty easy to set up. The advantage is that only the user that is actually logged in to the physical console (ie. not over the network or the like) will have access to the CD-ROM and other devices that you choose.

The SCSI modules are tagged as autoremovable when they're loaded. The thing is that every ten minutes, a cron script runs "rmmod -a", which removes all modules that are tagged as autoremovable. So it's not really after a fixed time span, but rather every ten minutes.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Any ideas on this error at boot time "ds: no socket drivers loaded?" I've searched the web for this kind and it seems that the module ds.o is listed somewhere under pcmcia packages. Now, I haven't included any pcmcia packages and I've looked at all the possible modules under it and couldn't find the ds.o module.
    Pam_console, would the man page be 'man 5 pam_console'?
    I'm very glad that the SCSI emulation is working. I very much appreciate all your help with everything.

Linux Guru
    Indeed that comes from drivers/pcmcia/ds.c, which the "PC Card Driver services". PC Card is the newer PCMCIA standard.
    Are you sure that you didn't just accidently build PCMCIA support into the core kernel?

Linux Engineer
    Yea, there are two sections where this needs to be disabled. Since I'm not using a laptop, I don't see why I need this.
    Well, I think I'll finally try using cdrecord today. You said that sg.o is needed for that program?

Linux Guru
    Indeed. sg.o is an alternative userspace interface to the SCSI drivers. To make sure that it too autoloads, add "alias char-major-21 sg" to your /etc/modules.conf.

Linux Engineer
    What IS /dev/sg*?
    If I want to have my joystick enable automatically, I would assume that I could add something like this "char-major-10-0 sidewinder." Since sidewinder.o depends on other modules such as joydev, gameport, emu10k1-gp (in that order), could I use the "add above" directive (if it is called a directive)?

Linux Guru
    I don't really know that much about SCSI, since I've never owned any actual SCSI hardware, but I believe that /dev/sg* lets you access SCSI devices by their actual SCSI device IDs, and cdrecord likes to do that.

How does sidewinder.o depend on those other modules? If they have symbols that sidewinder.o requires to be loaded, then depmod and modprobe will fix it for you automatically. If it's another case like sr_mod and ide-scsi (ie. where sr_mod doesn't really _need_ ide-scsi, but when it would be useless in practice without it), then you'll need the "add above" them.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    If it's another case like sr_mod and ide-scsi (ie. where sr_mod doesn't really _need_ ide-scsi, but when it would be useless in practice without it), then you'll need the "add above" them.
    What do you mean by "doesn't really _need_ ide-scsi? I'm basing that all those other modules are needed for sidewinder.o since sidewinder alone couldn't do anything.
    By the way, I ran lsmod and I still see those SCSI modules. Do I need to tweak anything to autoclean them? All those modules have the phrase (autoclean) next to them.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast