Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16
If I use that method, does the System map and the config file reside in that directory as well?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

If I use that method, does the System map and the config file reside in that directory as well?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Nope, System.map will be along with vmlinux (the uncompressed kernel image) in the kernel source tree root dir. The config file will also be there, as it always is.

Linux Engineer
    Does it matter if it tells me that the bzImage file won't fit on a floppy disk? It's around 1MB. Also, is it alright if I copy the bzImage file before I run 'make modules' and 'make modules_install'? As far as I can see, these two steps shouldn't have much to do with the actual kernel.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    It probably doesn't matter, as long as you don't plan on putting it on a floppy. =)
    And yes, you can copy it before you compile the modules. Making modules or modules_install doesn't affect the core kernel image at all. That's actually pretty practical. I have altered a few firewalling modules and been able to use the new version without rebooting. I just changed the source file, made modules and modules_install and then reloaded the module and everything was fine.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16