Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Well, I know for certain that I have maked bzImage on the RH8.0 kernel tree. You must be doing something strange... or something. What error do you get? I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Well, I know for certain that I have maked bzImage on the RH8.0 kernel tree. You must be doing something strange... or something. What error do you get?
    I don't really get what you're saying about preferring oldconfig over xconfig? That way you won't know exactly what's in your kernel, right?
    make clean _probably_ isn't necessary, providing that the kernel is properly distributed. But if someone would mess up one day and not clean the tree properly, you'd probably find yourself debugging for hours not finding what's wrong with you new, shiny kernel.

Linux Engineer

menuconfig or xconfig

Hey guys, do I build menuconfig and xconfig with the makefile? Both of those commands aren't builtin to debian.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Yep, that's it; that's why we were saying "make xconfig" and "make menuconfig" through it all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Where can I find more information about the modules in the kernel? For example, I need to support SCSI so that I can emulate my IDE CDRW. Other things that I'd like to do in this kernel is to support drivers for my MS sidewinder joystick.

Linux Guru
    How do you mean? Find information about hwo modules work, about what module does what, or about which kernel config option generates what module?
    In the first case, read the kernel docs in the Documentation dir of the kernel tree.
    In the second case, check with modinfo. Not all modules are documented, though.
    In the third case, check the integrated help system of the kernel compiler.

Linux Engineer

brief example

Dolda,

Here's a brief example of what I'm doing. Since my CPU is of type K6-2, is it safe to load ONLY K6-2 modules and ignore the rest of the CPU types(meaning saying no to all others)? I'd like to support SCSI emulation for my CDRW. It's apparent that I'll have to install the SCSI module but there is also the SCSI-CDROM module. Do I need to install that too? It's questions like these that are really holding me back from the rest of the compilation.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    Since my CPU is of type K6-2, is it safe to load ONLY K6-2 modules and ignore the rest of the CPU types(meaning saying no to all others)?
    K6-2 modules? What do you mean? You select your processor type in the "Processor type and features" submenu, in which you can only select one processor types. It's kind of a radio button thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    I'd like to support SCSI emulation for my CDRW. It's apparent that I'll have to install the SCSI module but there is also the SCSI-CDROM module. Do I need to install that too?
    Indeed. It works like this: First you have the SCSI module (scsi_mod.o), that provides the SCSI subsystem and framework. Then you have the IDE SCSI emulation module (ide-scsi.o), which acts like a hardware driver to the SCSI subsystem in that it emulates a SCSI hardware driver, but goes through the IDE code. Then you will need the SCSI CDROM module (sr_mod.o) that makes the drives provided by the IDE emulation driver available to userspace via the /dev/scd? devices. You will also need the SCSI Generic support module (sg.o), which cdrecord uses to enumerate and access SCSI drives. Far from all programs need SCSI Generic support, but cdrecord does.

It isn't always all that easy to know what you'll need, so don't feel bad.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

Exactly where would I find the reading materials for this kind of stuff. The question with my processor was a stupid one. I wasn't thinking clearly but the SCSI emulation obviously needs some work. Another module that I am concerned is my joystick. I pretty much skimmed through xconfig to get a feel of it but I really didn't see any modules related to joysticks.

Linux Guru
    Well, the built-in help system helps pretty much many times, but apart from that, I don't really know. It does have references to the Documentation directory sometimes.
    I don't really know about the joystick interface, actually. I've never tried to go get mine to work. I know that there was an older interface using /dev/js*, but I suspect that it might have been obsoleted in favor of the new input core system. You will most probably still need the joystick driver under character devices anyway, though, as the backend to the input core.
    You'll find surprisingly much that you expected to find elsewhere under character devices.

Linux Engineer
    Yea, I guess I'll just have to search, find and compile over if necessary. This process is fun though. Once again, thanks for yer help. =)

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast