Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
In 'make xconfig,' I noticed that there are three choices (Y, M, N). Is 'Y' hard coded into the kernel and 'M' loadable as a kernel module?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

In 'make xconfig,' I noticed that there are three choices (Y, M, N). Is 'Y' hard coded into the kernel and 'M' loadable as a kernel module?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    Yeah, that's right. Y is to make the make process link the object file directly into the core kernel image.

Linux Engineer
    Is there a way to find out if the correct modules were installed to the kernel? I'm still having problems using my joystick on the gameport.

Linux Guru
    I haven't used a joystick under Linux yet. Does it use the input core subsys? What device file does it use?

Linux Engineer
    As far as I can tell (from reading docs) device file should be /dev/jsx.

Linux Guru
    On my system they are symlinks to the input core's directory (/dev/input). Are they that on your system as well, or is that RH specific?

Linux Engineer
    Actually, I believe it is /dev/input/js0 or js1. I'm not sure which one it is though. If these are the correct device files, then I'll need to set the appropriate settings to let other users use the joystick.

Linux Guru
    As far as I'm aware, the input core doesn't report to userspace about its registered devices. This I find very strange, so can someone please prove me wrong?

The only way that I'm aware to list the input devices is to gdb the kernel against /proc/kcore and walk through the list starting with input_dev manually. Providing that your kernel symbol table is left intact, that is.

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

Where can I find the IDE SCSI module in xconfig? This is the only one that I can't find regarding the modules needed for SCSI emulation.
    Furthermore, can you recommend other CD recording programs besides cdrecord? If I recall, cdrecord is run from the command line.

Linux Guru
    The SCSI emulation is under ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support, IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices. Look for SCSI Emulation support.
    cdrecord is really the only one I know of whatsoever. There are, however, several Xlib/Gtk+/Qt etc. front-ends written for it, like xcdroast, gtoaster or koncd. I wouldn't really recommend them over writing some shell script wrappers for cdrecord, though. =)

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast