Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry if this is the wrong section. But I was planning on partitioning off part of my hard drive to install linux so I could use both linux and windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What linux distro is best for me?

Sorry if this is the wrong section. But I was planning on partitioning off part of my hard drive to install linux so I could use both linux and windows xp.
    • I browse the internet a lot (wireless networks adapter 802.11b provided by AT&T)
    • I want to be able to play World of Warcraft
    • I want to be able to play Counter Strike 1.6/CC:CZ
    • I want easy programming capabilities as I'm now picking up c++ as my second language.

Sys Specs:
    • Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
    • 2x 512 MB RAM (1 GB total)
    • 2 Hard drives one 100 GB the other 40 GB thinking about getting a third, larger one
    • PCI nVidia FX 5500 256 MB video card
    • AGP nVidia e-TNT2 M64.032-A4-NV02-S1

Given all of this which Linux distro do you think would be best for me

oz
    forum.guy
    What linux distro is best for me?
    Welcome to the forums!

That's a hard question to answer because In the end, it will be you that has to decide what is the best distro for your computer hardware and your own personal tastes in an operating system.

You can take a look at the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux, and you'll find a couple of quizzes there that might help you pick a distribution to start with.

Generally speaking, any of the top 10 or so distros listed at DistroWatch should work fine on most computer hardware.

Hope it all goes well and you find just what you are looking for.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by thejay2012 View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong section. But I was planning on partitioning off part of my hard drive to install linux so I could use both linux and windows xp.
    • I browse the internet a lot (wireless networks adapter 802.11b provided by AT&T)
    • I want to be able to play World of Warcraft
    • I want to be able to play Counter Strike 1.6/CC:CZ
    • I want easy programming capabilities as I'm now picking up c++ as my second language.

Sys Specs:
    • Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
    • 2x 512 MB RAM (1 GB total)
    • 2 Hard drives one 100 GB the other 40 GB thinking about getting a third, larger one
    • PCI nVidia FX 5500 256 MB video card
    • AGP nVidia e-TNT2 M64.032-A4-NV02-S1

Given all of this which Linux distro do you think would be best for me
    Welcome to the forums. You've asked the #1 most popular question, and the only one to which there is no answer. Any major distribution of Linux will run just fine on your hardware, but here are some things to consider.

No version of Linux will run Microsoft Windows software natively. You will need third-party programs to translate them, and the performance will always be worse than simply playing your games in Windows. I suggest for WoW and CounterStrike you simply play those in Windows. If you're dead set on using them in Linux, see The WINE Project for help.

For more general information on Linux and various distributions, I recommend this welcome thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants