Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, this is my first post. I know practically nothing about Linux but am trying to learn. I actually want to get certified Linux+. So I figure this forum ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

change back to Windows bootloader?

Hi all, this is my first post.

I know practically nothing about Linux but am trying to learn. I actually want to get certified Linux+. So I figure this forum would be a great resource.

Anyway, I have a dual boot situation going on my laptop with Windows XP and Ubuntu, and am pretty frustrated that I seem to forced to use GRUB.

I really dont feel like reinstalling. Is there a way to simply change it back to using the Windows bootloader?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elepro View Post
    Is there a way to simply change it back to using the Windows bootloader?
    Welcome to the forums!

Yes, you can use the Windows bootloader, but it might not be all that simple. Here's a HowTo you can follow:

How to dual-boot Linux from Windows NT/2000/XP

You can find several other HowTos with a google search should you need them.

Hope it goes well for you.
    oz

I tried using the Windows bootloader for Windows 2000 and posted information here.
    The process was:-
    install grub to root partition of Linux
    use dd to copy paritition boot sector to a file
    copy the file to windows partition
    use Supergrub to restore Windows boot code
    modify Windows menu to include option to boot Linux.
    Hope this helps ... good luck and let us know how it goes.

Just Joined!
    Well, thanks for trying, guys, but it didn't seem to work out for me. Maybe I just wasn't following directions correctly, or something. But when I would add the last line on boot.ini, I would get windows bootloader with Linux as a choice, but when I would try to boot to Linux, I would get an error that said I was missing file <windows root> hal32.dll or something like that. Then I got the idea to try to use whe Windows repair console with the installation disk to do a fixmbr, but to no avail. I ended up having to blow everything out and reinstall.