Find the answer to your Linux question:
This has happened only once I was installing on a system and got an error message stating that "nobody cared and use the irqpoll option. The desktop doesn't ever come ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

install question Ubuntu 8.10

This has happened only once

I was installing on a system and got an error message stating that "nobody cared and use the irqpoll option. The desktop doesn't ever come up. I assume it has something to do with the USB that I have because the error messages pertain to it. This is the first time I have ever seen this. I figure a hardware issue but not sure. Any ideas?

Can you post the actual error message? And by 'desktop doesn't come up', do you get dropped to a console screen with a login prompt?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Highlight Ubuntu option in GRUB Menu and press 'e'. Select kernel line and press 'e' again. Type irqpoll at the end of kernel line and hit Enter key. Press 'b'.
    Does Ubuntu boot up? Post exact error message here, if any.

Highlight Ubuntu title -- e -- select kernel line -- e -- type irqpoll -- hit Enter key -- b.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Whatever it was, it didn't do it again. I turned the system off thinking there may have been settings stored in memory. When I rebooted and done the reinstall, it worked just fine. It's up and running just fine. Oh well...

appreciate the help

Just Joined!
    You never did an end quote.

This has happened only once

I was installing on a system and got an error message stating that "nobody cared and use the irqpoll option. The desktop doesn't ever come up. I assume it has something to do with the USB that I have because the error messages pertain to it. This is the first time I have ever seen this. I figure a hardware issue but not sure. Any ideas?
    Regardless, that's one odd error message.