Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux & this forum. Hello to everyone & thanks in advance for the help. I'm having trouble with a few things... I have Windows 2000 installed on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A dual os of win2k & linux on seperate drives...

I'm new to Linux & this forum. Hello to everyone & thanks in advance for the help. I'm having trouble with a few things...

I have Windows 2000 installed on one hard drive, Fedora Core 1 installed on another. I can't get Linux to boot up. GRUB is not on the MBR (a number of sources claimed it was a bad idea). In fact, I have to boot up GRUB through the installation CD (and made sure the grub.conf & menu.lst files are in the boot directory & edited them accordingly). But from what I understand, I need to copy a linux.bin file onto a floppy, then copy that file into the C:\, then edit the Window's "C:\boot.ini".

So I am able to get GRUB to load up, but it doesn't want to do anything else, mount the floppy or copy this linux.bin file. I'm really new to this, so any advice would be great. Help!

first read this :- http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19999.html which is in our tutorial section. It deals with grub and boot problems.

Not sure why you don't want to put grub on your hard disk's mbr (make sure it's the mbr on the hard disk that your bios says to boot from), as I've never had problems.

have fun

Nerderllo

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    I have read in a few places that GRUB won't boot Windows 2000... of course, now I'm reading that's not true. Thanks for the link.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close