Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone! Im wanting to duel boot linux and vista on my laptop. I already have vista on it now. Could anyone tell me a program that will allow me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Duel booting

Hello Everyone!

Im wanting to duel boot linux and vista on my laptop. I already have vista on it now. Could anyone tell me a program that will allow me to do this?

Linux Guru
    You don't need any particular program, almost any Linux distributions should install without problems. You should be familiar with partitioning drives so you don't overwrite your vista installation. You should probably read a little about the Grub bootloader before starting.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, street!

Check the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux. Like yancek said above, pretty much any distro you want to try should work.

The installers automate the process for the most part and should setup dual-booting for you, if you want it. The installer should not overwrite your Windows partition(s) unless you direct it to do so. Just be careful in the partitioning phase so that you don't accidentally tell it to use the entire drive, or the partition(s) that your Windows system currently resides on.

If you should run into any issues, start new threads detailing each problem.

Hope you have fun with it!
    oz

Just Joined!
    Vista will not boot without repair if you do not shrink its partition with its own partitioner. In all events, it's a good idea to find your copy or make a copy of Vista from your installation before you proceed. Here is a little tutorial.

HowTo Category