Find the answer to your Linux question:
I originally posted this in Ubuntu forums and after a week, no reply Hi all, I have an issue where my 1st Sata drive isn't being acknowledged from inside of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down First Sata Drive not recognized

I originally posted this in Ubuntu forums and after a week, no reply

Hi all,

I have an issue where my 1st Sata drive isn't being acknowledged from inside of Ubuntu 8.10 or at least I cannot access it, it is not showing up in gparted or in terminal with fdisk -l

I have 5 Sata drives and they are listed in BIOS in the same order as connected to MB.

Ubuntu is on my 2nd hard drive in reality, but when the problem occurs, Ubuntu sees the drive it is installed on as the first drive (sda). The real sda never shows up. So 4 of the 5 drives show up fine, but the first one gets dropped somewhere into the abyss...

I boot to the first drive all the time and it is always seen by my other OS's, including others installed on the 2nd drive with Ubuntu, and the drive is fairly new with no indications of failure.

I do have a raid 0 on the last 2 drives and I have added rootdelay=90 to the kernel line in menu.lst, as I was getting dropped to busybox at boot.

Would appreciate any help -thank you

Just Joined!

Smile Same problems with SATA HDs & Ubuntu

Yeah man I just signed up for a free account here to reply to your post because I am having the same problems with my 2 brand new 500GB SATA HDs in which I have installed in my custom PC I built which is running my old Socket 478 MB Asus P4P800E-Deluxe its not up to date as far as the best but it does what I need it to & honestly still works great for gaming but Ubuntu doesn't even read the drives at all & I have looked all over the net for solutions to get around this because with Windows XP Pro all I have to do is make a floppy with the drivers for SATA support & say that I have raid to install prior to installation of Windows to that it will detect & recognize the drives.

So no man your not alone & it seams plenty of people are having the same or similar problems with Sata devices & HDs in Ubuntu & other Linux based OSes.