Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm very much a newbie to the whole Linux thing. I'm studying IT at Uni. This is my second semester. One of the components in my networking subject is using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to get NB1200 USB ADSL modem to work in Redhat 8

I'm very much a newbie to the whole Linux thing. I'm studying IT at Uni. This is my second semester. One of the components in my networking subject is using Linux.

To help me learn it better I have reformatted my computer to make it a dual boot Windows XP Pro/Redhat 8.0 machine. The installation went fine for both OS's and both load beautifully!!!! The only problem I have is getting connected to the internet under Linux.

Prior to deciding to install Linux on my machine, I signed up for an ADSL internet connection, and bought a Netcomm NB1200 USB ADSL modem. I have now read that setting-up a broadband connection with an ethernet ADSL modem is easy, whereas the same cannot be said for USB. New drivers are required which I assume aren't available. I've done a quick search on the net and have come up with nothing yet.

Being a student I don't have much money to throw around at all, so after everything I've said above, I'm interested to know if anyone knows of either a driver available to get me connected, or if there is a known cheap alternative.

I can still connect to the internet through XP, but I would also like to be able to do the same in Linux.

If anyone can lend any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Linux Guru
    Well, there are only drivers for a few USB ADSL modems for Linux. Let's face it, most hardware manufacturers only make drivers for Windows.
    Try searching for it on google, though. Sometimes there are open-source drivers for you. A tip: If you can't find a driver for your modem model, try dismantling it, and search for some of the chips in it, like the USB interface chip or if you can see some kind of "main" chip in it. Sometimes there are drivers for other modems that are built on the same chipset as your modem is.

Linux User

Router

Hi Matthew

I had a similar problem and purchased a Vigor 2200 USB router.

You plug the ADSL modem into the router and the router into a max of four PCS (or another hub/switch) via ethernet.

This worked great. The router is made by draytek. they have a web site detailing all of their routers and the modems they support.

You do need windows to set up the router though!

It cost about £112.

If you decide to get one and need help then let me know.

Stick with Linux. You'll get there in the end.

You never stop learning.

Cheers

Kris
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I dont think you will get it working. Try swaping it for the alcatel speedtouch.
    Support for that is great.

Linux User

can't always swap

I use BT here in the uk for broadband. and they wouldn't swap my intel modem for the alcatel one. When the call centre tech support gimp asked why I wanted to I mentioned that I was running Linux and he asked me what Linux was. An operating system I replied, "A what?".

I didn't get any help or sense out of BT. However, I do here that they are going to support Apple Mac OS X. I don't know much about that but would drivers be portable to Linux?

ANyway a sideways discussion. and a boring one if you live outside the UK. Can people enter they location in their profile to help with questions concerning stuff like broadband.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru
    I just don't get it why companies hire such people to help with computer support. I mean, of course they don't have to be computer experts, but I would think that you'd need at least basic computing knowledge to be hired for such a job.