Find the answer to your Linux question:
Windows vista is installed on my laptop, now I want to install Fedora 6, double OS. I create a ex3 partition (40G). I don't have CD driver, so I plan ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems about installing Fedora 6 from mobile hard disk

Windows vista is installed on my laptop, now I want to install Fedora 6, double OS.
    I create a ex3 partition (40G). I don't have CD driver, so I plan to install Fedora 6 from the USB mobile hard disk. I format a 80G partition into FAT32 file system, and copy FC-6-i386-DVD.iso to it.
    1. use grubinst-1.1-bin-w32-2008-01-01 to install grub in the mobile hard disk
    2. copy grub4dos-0.4.4/grldr.mbr and grub4dos-0.4.4/menu.lst to mobile hard disk
    3. get initrd.img and vmlinuz from FC-6-i386-DVD.iso
    4. edit menu.lst, add the following:
    title Fedora 6 Setup
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quietkernel
    initrd /initrd.img
    5. reboot
    I want to boot from the mobile hard disk, but it doesn't work.
    Who know how to install Fedora from usb mobile hard disk, please help me, thanks!

The problem is the .iso images. These will not run directly w/o either being burnt to a disk using an ISO burning utility, or mounted to a virtual disk drive and run using a similar utility.

With an existing Windows installation already in place, and a lack of a CD drive you probably will want to look into the second option.

Virtual Disk: Mount an .ISO file without burning a disk

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanan View Post
    The problem is the .iso images. These will not run directly w/o either being burnt to a disk using an ISO burning utility, or mounted to a virtual disk drive and run using a similar utility.

With an existing Windows installation already in place, and a lack of a CD drive you probably will want to look into the second option.

Virtual Disk: Mount an .ISO file without burning a disk
    but it's a tool that just can be used under windows and it can't be used to install Fedora.
    Anyway, thanks for your attentions.

If you mount it to your external drive and tell BIOS to boot from it you may be able to get it to install. If it's a USB drive you may not be able to do that... but eSATA is a possibility.

I was able to install grub using that utility on a WIN2K machine and from there install SUSE.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanan View Post
    If you mount it to your external drive and tell BIOS to boot from it you may be able to get it to install. If it's a USB drive you may not be able to do that... but eSATA is a possibility.

I was able to install grub using that utility on a WIN2K machine and from there install SUSE.
    I will try, thanks