Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm generally new to Linux and I want to install Ubuntu on my Macbook. THing is, I recently had to completely clear my hard drive and my Mac installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Linux on Macbook - No OS X

Hi,

I'm generally new to Linux and I want to install Ubuntu on my Macbook. THing is, I recently had to completely clear my hard drive and my Mac installation cd is missing and i have no way of purchasing another at the moment, so I need to install Linux on my computer and use that as the primary OS without being able to use Leopard as a reference point to install rEFit.

I have already made an Ubuntu cd. I used to to install on my harddrive (worked fine) but when it gets to the restart it spits out the cd (Ubuntu always seems to do this on restarts) and when it restarts the computer does not run Ubuntu and sits on a blank screen with a question-mark folder (basically thinking no os exists).

Any ideas? I really need to be able to use my computer soon.

Thanks in advance!

If you can access another computer. You might be able to install your Ubuntu CD to a pen drive. Then you can burn a Pendrive Ubuntu boot cd for Mac. I know this is a round about way to try this. But it sounds like it will work for your install needs. Here are 2 link to show you how it is possible to do this.

Ubuntu 8.10 Install using the built in USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux

USB Boot CD for Ubuntu 8.10 - Boot without BIOS support | USB Pen Drive Linux
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I somehow got Fedora to install correctly, so from there I did what you suggested and made the CD/pen drive. When I tried to install Ubunto that way, i repeatedly got an 'error -101' message which halted the installation. Any ideas? I have generally been dissapointed with Fedora. For some reason it wont give me admin access even though i am the only user along with a host of other problems.

Thanks for the help.

If that error is a Mac systems error this is all I could find on error 101.
    101 dsParityErr memory parity error
    I don't know what that means though. Did you try burning the

USB Boot CD for Ubuntu 8.10 - Boot without BIOS support | USB Pen Drive Linux

and using it to boot the pendrive. If you read that link and its instructions, it tells you that it can locate the filesystem on the usb and boot it up.

If you did try that route, you might have to try burning a Ubuntu Alternate install cd, because I have heard ozar state in the forum numerous times that he could never get the live cd to boot up on his machines, but the alternate install cd would work for him. Just a thought.Complete Download Options List | Ubuntu

I am not a expert on Macs. I don't own one for starters. Maybe some other Mac user on the forum can jump in here and give ya a hand. Sorry you are having such a hard time with this.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Did a little more research on linux error 101 but that is a kernel error that is way above my head. http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ror-101-a.html
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home