Find the answer to your Linux question:
my daughter got a HP mini 2133 with Linux for her christmas. The boot process is going into a loop. I'm a basic user. can anyone help me break the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HP Mini 2133 -boot failure (looping)

my daughter got a HP mini 2133 with Linux for her christmas. The boot process is going into a loop. I'm a basic user. can anyone help me break the loop and get the boot to complete

Linux Guru
    More information would be helpful. Quick Google search indicates that the Linux version on this notebook is Opensuse. Is that right? When did this happen? Have you ever been able to boot the computer? Explain what you mean by "going in a loop"? you get the menu, make a selection and it re-boots? goes back to the menu?

Just Joined!
    the boot menu suggests suse ('preload Suse (OEM)' - yes. I have never successfully booted the PC. What happens is, without my involvement at all (didn't touch a button other than switching the PC on), it goes from the HP screen (with F9, F10, F11 and f12 options), to the start up menu and then automatically goes into the 'preoload' option. I can then see it scroll thorugh various set up actions which show as done, unused, skipped or failed. it then goes via one more screen , looks like it's saving settings, goes back to the HP screen and on again to the start up menu and on again as above. I can't stop it. I can interrup it and use f10 to go in to the ROM based setup and I'm hoping I can do something in there. But I don't know this area and when I come out of it the loop continues. I have to remove the battery to stop this loop.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    it goes from the HP screen (with F9, F10, F11 and f12 options),
    What are these options? Generally, you will get an option to hit a specific key F2 or F10,etc) to enter BIOS and another option to select boot options, often hit F8 key??

What is on the startup menu you refer to?

Seeing it scroll through various actions is part of the normal boot process. Often it will be set so that you just see a pretty green screen and not all these options.activities but that can be set. Normal behavior. After this happens, you should boot to a normal graphical user interface.

At the beginning, after the HP screen, you would normally get a boot menu selection screen. Since you only have one OS you may not need this but there should be normal boot option as well as failsafe so???

Does this maching have a cd drive?

I can interrup it and use f10 to go in to the ROM based setup and I'm hoping I can do something in there.
    I don't know what you mean by the above quote, are you talking about entering setup or BIOS?

Hope you still have the receipt for this machine because unless you or someone else did something weird, this is definitely not normal behavior.

Just Joined!
    you're right.phoned HP and ther's a software problem. Have to send it back since there is no CR/dvd drive. Thanks for trying.