Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am unable to install any OS on my old PC. I can get into the BIOS menus, but the pc won't boot from the CD. I have tried two ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Installation mystery - hardware problems?

I am unable to install any OS on my old PC. I can get into the BIOS menus, but the pc won't boot from the CD. I have tried two different CD drives, no luck, neither with the newest xubuntu nor with arch.

I took the hard drive from the pc, inserted it into a new pc, and installed arch on the drive. Put it back into the old pc, but to no avail.

When I fire up my PC now, I am left with the error message: Invalid boot diskette - insert boot diskette in A:

But I don't have any boot diskette, and the message keeps showing up even after I have unplugged the floppy drive.

If anyone has any idea how I can figure out what is wrong, or if there is any way I can have my pc boot the arch drive, I would be most grateful. All ideas greatly appreciated. Thx.

Go ahead and plug the floppy drive back in. Download and make a bootable floppy of Smart Boot Manager and boot up the hardrive with it.

SourceForge.net: Smart BootManager

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SmartBootManager

Simple User Guide for Smart Boot Manager 3.x: How to use Smart Boot Manager 3.x?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot! But I have a few more questions to the smart boot manager.

I am using a diskette drive on an old laptop with windows 98 on it to format the diskette and install the smart boot manager, but the installation process is a bit unclear.

1. There are several files listed for download on source forge. Which one should I get, and how to install it with rawwrite to the floppy? When I click on rawwrite, it says to select an image to write onto the floppy, but I didn't download any image?

2. Do I have to install lilo on my drive with arch? I have never used lilo, so if I could use grub, I think it would be easier for me.

Just Joined!
    okay, I'm about to pull all my hair out and slam my head in the door, because the instructions are bloody impossible to understand. I need help!!!

First, I am not sure which file to download from SourceForge.net: Smart BootManager: Files , so I took the tar.gz one.

I have problems when following the readme on how to install smart boot manager to a floppy.

I get:
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/home/reploid/bootmanager/release/main.bin', needed by `main.h'. Stop.
    and:
    reploid@linux:~/bootmanager/release$ make install
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

How the hell do I make this floppy????????? I've been working on these computers the past DAYS now, swapping hard drives, burning discs, and now I have to break my head over instructions that are f-ing incomprehensible???

Just Joined!
    Does anyone have a suggestion for another way to create a boot floppy? Link?

The smart boot manager won't compile properly.

Be cool dude , I've been out cruising on my Bike all day, I'll walk you through making a smart boot manger floppy. Keep your hair and don't bang your head, ya need it to think. Now take a deep breath, pour yourself a drink of choice, (ya can tell I had a good time today) and click on this link

Smart Boot Manager Download

1.download sbminst.exe (DOS executable)
    cwsdpmi.exe (support file) and formatted a 1.4mb floppy and installed those 2 downloads to floppy. Used the 3.7 column Smart Boot Manager Download

2.2.1. Restart the PC, boot from the floppy and run:
    A:\>sbminst

3. Read the displayed screen for guidance and run the following command:
    A:\>sbminst -t us -d 0 [make sure to put a space before -t, us, -d, 0][- is a dash, 0 is a zero]
    Enter Y when asked to confirm.
    The above command converts the floppy into a standalone boot manager.

4.Reboot the computer and select Hardrive, Cdrom, whatever you want to pick from the list to boot 1st.

I forgot how I learned how to do this, but I thought it had the instructions at the site. Otherwise I woulda told ya.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thx, man, sry if I came off as demanding, I am grateful that you took your time to help me out with the boot manager - I got it working.

Soon afterwards, the old power supply died on me. Not even sure if it is worth the cash buying a new one to revive that old box.

Oh, the irony.

No prob. Man. I am in the repair business, and I found out a long time ago, that throwing wrenches don't fix nothing, and suprisingly didn't make me feel any better. Maybe you can skin up a old used power supply from a junk box if yer lucky. Good Luck.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home