Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently upgraded my motherboard, and attempted to reinstall ubuntu hardy. I have run into a TON of problems. There's a lot to explain, so let me start with my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux will not play nice with my new motherboard!

I recently upgraded my motherboard, and attempted to reinstall ubuntu hardy. I have run into a TON of problems. There's a lot to explain, so let me start with my new specs:

MSI 845 Ultra-C Motherboard
    Pentium 4 2.4GHz CPU
    1 Gig RAM
    ATI Radeon X1300
    Corsair VX450W PSU (450 watt)
    40Gb Master HDD
    320Gb Slave HDD
    Sony DVD-RW drive (don't feel like finding model #)

Okay, so i did a clean install of windows xp. The installation went slower than i am used to, but since it has installed, i have had no problems running windows. Now when i try to install Ubuntu, or actually ANY distro of linux, the installation runs extremely slow, and then drops to that "initramfs shell" thing. I added "delaytimer=120" to the install command, which gets me (eventually) into the live desktop (takes about an hour just to get past the partition manager), and ultimately fails at about 78%. As i said, this is pretty much the case for every distro i have tried.

Today i successfully installed a debian distro, but it runs as slow as cold molasses. it takes ten minutes just to open firefox. so i have reformatted the partition debian was on, and i am back to square one: Windows.

Anybody know why my computer is going so slow with my new mobo? i got a new power supply that i am positive is distributing enough power, so it's not that....Rawr!

Hi and Welcome !

It could be Graphics Card problem. Have you tried to install Linux distros in Text Mode?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    yes i have tried that, it makes no difference.

Also i have tried using the on-board video card, which also makes no difference.

i don't experience any display lag while installing, it just takes forever.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close