Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yo ho. I've decided to install Linux on a secondary partition on my computer. However, I'm quite unfamiliar with changing partitions in place, and I'm unsure how accommodating my computer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Reorganizing for Linux

Yo ho.

I've decided to install Linux on a secondary partition on my computer.

However, I'm quite unfamiliar with changing partitions in place, and I'm unsure how accommodating my computer will be.

To describe my current situation:
    Code:
    HDD 0: 20GB Primary Partition (C:), 280 GB Logical Drive on Extended Partition (D:)
    HDD1: 465 GB Primary Partition (F:)
    HDD2: 931 GB Primary Partition (G:)
    HDD3: 300 GB Primary Partition (E:)
    C: contains Windows, D: contains installed programs, E: is my personal documents and temporary downloads folder, F: stores disc images and movies, and G: stores my anime and tv shows. They are all NTFS.

What I would like to do is partition F: to give me some ext3 space and toss Linux on there. However, I'm extremely unfamiliar with how Linux handles boot drives, and I'm also unused to repartitioning devices on the fly.

If necessary, I can copy the contents of F: to G: and reformat to make it available, but I'd rather not. I also can't have Linux running off of C:, as there isn't enough free space, and hey, that's my OS partition and I very much dislike downtime.

So, to summarise:

1) Is it possible for Windows to be on C:, Linux to be on HDD1, and yet have a boot loader that will allow me to choose between the two?
    2) If so, would there be any problem with partitioning HDD1 into a partial NTFS partition and an ext3 partition?
    3) Can I reallocate space from the current F: partition on HDD1 and reformat it to ext3 without having to zero the disc?

To all my Linux friends, cheers

Also: I'm thinking starting with Ubuntu; any alternative recommendations? If so, why?

Hello and Welcome!

I think the easiest thing would be to allocate some room from F: using GParted. Very easy to use LiveCD. There is always the danger of losing data when re-sizing partitions, so do make a back-up if possible. (Although I've never once had that problem.) Defrag that partition, and boot up with GParted in the CD tray. You'll be presented with a simple GUI to do your partition work.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

You might get some clues from here.
    Linux Partitioning Guide - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Alexia

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close