Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by psx1337 really? i was looking at one of their pages and it was listing all this coding for installation. i want to be able to burn the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by psx1337
    really? i was looking at one of their pages and it was listing all this coding for installation. i want to be able to burn the ISO cds, pop them in and boot up for installation with a GUI installation. maybe im wrong ?o_O?
    Heh wow you're right. I just went back to the site. It actually looks BETTER than yellowdog. Because with yellowdog if you want KDE 3 you need to pay $. That's what I noticed about yellowdog they are really on the corporate side of things as far as money goes. Ahh well. I'll try this

Im baffled by the FTP mirrors though. They seem to lack organization

maybe you can tell me if these are what i should d/l
    I have a clamshell ibook g3
    http://gentoo.oregonstate.edu/releas...ecd/allstages/

and im not sure if it matters whether i get rc4, rc2, etc...

Linux Engineer
    Gentoo is very easy to install. No GUI installer but the steps tell you exactly what to type and if you are starting from stage3, its very simple.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    Gentoo is very easy to install. No GUI installer but the steps tell you exactly what to type and if you are starting from stage3, its very simple.
    im assuming stage 3 is having the ISO file?!

Linux Engineer
    You can start to build your gentoo system from different stages. Stage1 being you build everything and stage3 gives you a very basic system to build on top of.

Just Joined!
    So I posted that link there is that what I should be downloaing?

Linux Engineer

Just Joined!
    Wow that's a small file. I remember Mandrake was like 600m for one disc. Does this file include everything i need? If it doesnt have the software packages I wont bother. The IT lady at my school might help tommorow with the yellowdog installation.... :-\

Just Joined!
    after i finish printing out the +100 pages manual ill install Debian. It looks cool.

Just Joined!
    hah another post...i feel like im talking to myself

but....i've changed my mind once again...
    Mandrake Linux 9.1 is out of PPC and I was not aware of this. Since my PC is using Mandrake 9.1. I'll put it on my PPC laptop for maximum compatibility!

:P Cya

Just Joined!
    :o AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :o I even tried Mandrake 9.1 (which didnt work at all) and 8.2 which does the same exact thing as YellowDog. After I choose my packages, it says "preparing installation" I read that this process can take up to 20 minutes. But..

1) I have alot of ram
    2) The CD is spinning funny (it starts up...slows down almost to a halt instalty...starts up again...etc..)

Looks like my PowerPC may be back to MacOS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast