Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I recently installed Red Hat linux v 7.0 on a Cyrix 6x86 processor w/ approx 30 megs of ram. I had no problems with the installation and all devices ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Redhat Linux 7.0 Hardware Recognition failure

Hello,

I recently installed Red Hat linux v 7.0 on a Cyrix 6x86 processor w/ approx 30 megs of ram. I had no problems with the installation and all devices worked except the modem and sound card. After subsequent boots, Kudzu recognized them and installed them accordingly. After a period of a month or so, Kudzu indicated that the devices were missing. I continued bootup and ran Kudzu again to no avail. Since then, there has been no sound or internet. The sound card is a Turtle Beach "something" and the modem is a "generic serial modem," both of which are on the ISA bus. Perhaps there is a hardware conflict or something, but I can't conclude that as of now. I appreciate any help or assistance.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Linux Engineer
    just a guess, but check that ur bois has 'PnP OS' set to no

Just Joined!

Re:

I just checked the bios and the pnp os is set to no.

Linux Guru
    Are these cards set to work with ISA PNP? If not, you will need to know their resources (I/O address, DMA channel and IRQ slot). If they are, check your /proc/isapnp to see that they are listed; if they aren't, it means that there's some kind of hardware fault.

Just Joined!

Re:

I could not find an isapnp file in /proc. I did a whereis for it and only found the isapnp tools program in /sbin and the isapnp.gone file in /etc. I don't know how to determine whether the cards are set to work with ISA PNP. How do I reveal the hardware resources for the cards?

Kyle

Linux Guru
    How do I reveal the hardware resources for the cards?
    That would be what /proc/isapnp is for. Maybe your kernel is compiled without it (sounds strange, but sure seems like it). Could you try recompiling it with ISA PNP support?

Just Joined!

modem

I tried booting windows and changing some resources around. I move the sound card's first address up by one range and booted linux. Kudzu saw the generic serial modem and configured it. I tried using it but rh ppp said that the interface could not be started. I rebooted linux and the modem was said to be removed. I booted windows again and completely removed the device entries for the sound card and yet again booted linux; it saw the card again and configured it. I then loaded kppp and hit setup and queried the modem. The modem responded to the ATI commands and showed the results. I then tried to connect to my ISP, but when the CONNECT message was received the ppp daemon died unexpectedly. I rebooted again and kudzu said the modem was removed again As for the isapnp, I am not yet experienced enough to muck with the kernel, although, I do have Windows programming experience. I am now learning the ins and outs of linux and do not feel prepared to recompile the kernel yet. How would one determine whether isapnp is incorporated into the kernel? and what exactly does the /proc/isapnp do? Any suggestions as to the modem issues? The modem does work properly under windows and used to work under linux.

Just Joined!

modem

I tried booting windows and changing some resources around. I move the sound card's first address up by one range and booted linux. Kudzu saw the generic serial modem and configured it. I tried using it but rh ppp said that the interface could not be started. I rebooted linux and the modem was said to be removed. I booted windows again and completely removed the device entries for the sound card and yet again booted linux; it saw the card again and configured it. I then loaded kppp and hit setup and queried the modem. The modem responded to the ATI commands and showed the results. I then tried to connect to my ISP, but when the CONNECT message was received the ppp daemon died unexpectedly. I rebooted again and kudzu said the modem was removed again As for the isapnp, I am not yet experienced enough to muck with the kernel, although, I do have Windows programming experience. I am now learning the ins and outs of linux and do not feel prepared to recompile the kernel yet. How would one determine whether isapnp is incorporated into the kernel? and what exactly does the /proc/isapnp do? Any suggestions as to the modem issues? The modem does work properly under windows and used to work under linux.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    I don't know if you know it, but the files in /proc are direct interfaces to the kernel. Those files don't exist on your hard drive, but their contents are created on the fly by the kernel when you read them. /proc/isapnp is the file that's supposed to return the information about your ISA PNP cards and how the kernel has configured them. I cannot interpret its absence in any other way than that you don't have ISA PNP support in your kernel.
    Recompiling your kernel isn't really that hard. Read the Kernel-HOWTO for information on how to do it.

Just Joined!

Re:

I have decided to attempt to recompile the kernel with the ISA-PNP support. I have been reading the howto, and I will now dive in head first and recompile it. By the way, thanks for the link to the HOW-TO article.
    I'll let you all know what happens.

later