Find the answer to your Linux question:
What would be minimum and recommended system requirements for a pretty much full install of RH IX?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

System Requirements for RH 9

What would be minimum and recommended system requirements for a pretty much full install of RH IX?

Linux Engineer
    atlelast 450-600mhz pentium, 2GB hd, and 64MB of ram. You could use a slower cpu if you don't plan on running X.

Linux Guru
    I wouldn't say that you'll necessary need such a fast CPU, but I'd recommend having even more RAM than that (128 MB or so for the experience to be pleasent).
    Of course, like genlee says, if you're not running X you won't need so much by far.

Linux Engineer
    Yes you could use a slower cpu but running X on that would be horrible. Unless you don't mind waitig to just move a window around. Could probably use fluxbox/blackbox on slower cpus which wouldn't be bad but the default redhat install I don't think has that option.

Linux Guru
    I can't imagine it to be such a big problem. I don't find it that slow if only you have plenty of RAM. Running GNOME on a 233 MHz isn't a big problem for me (apart from mozilla, though... that XUL thing is quite a hog, really), but if you have to little RAM it will essentially be thrashing after not too long. I have a friend who was running GNOME on a 75 MHz machine, and then it starts getting a bit horrible, but after he upgraded to 133 MHz it's quite OK in my opinion. Now that is RH7.1, but still.

Linux User
    kde with all eyecandy disabled is not so bad neither, but when things go slow, i get a bit fuzzy, so my 800 mhz computer has never run kde/gnome more than one day combined.

But, i would suggest icewm or xfce unless you want to run an ancient gnome/kde version

Linux Engineer
    Sometimes when I move some of my windows around, they lag behind the mouse cursor on my p3 1ghz. Maybe its from the themes I am using. I notice this the most when moving xmms.

Linux Guru
    That seems pretty extreme. But correct me if I'm wrong, but that should only happen if the WM is being overloaded, right? Do you have such an advanced WM theme?