Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a small internal hard drive I would like to use as dedicated swap space. My thinking is that this will increase performance over swap on a partition on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Swap on dedicated hard drive help

I have a small internal hard drive I would like to use as dedicated swap space. My thinking is that this will increase performance over swap on a partition on my primary HD. However, my small tower has room for only one HD.

My solution is to get a 3.5" adapter to place the drive into my spare 5.25" bay. This would necessitate using this HD as a slave on my secondary IDE channel (with the CD drive as the master).

Would Linux have any issues using swap that isn't on the primary IDE channel, and the only swap space for the system?

Thanks.

You shouldn't find that to be a problem as long as the location is referenced correctly (/etc/fstab).

I don't know that you'll actually experience any performance gains, though. Is your system lagging? If so, I would think about increasing RAM before buying an adapter to increase swap. RAM is faster and should take the bulk of the load. Swap is just there for overflow and shouldn't need to be used that often.

What's your system RAM?

Quote Originally Posted by sefn82 View Post
    You shouldn't find that to be a problem as long as the location is referenced correctly (/etc/fstab).

What's your system RAM?
    48MB. And that is the max allowed by system . . . (top shelf, I know )

I featured the system here:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...-life-dsl.html

Trying to tweak it with parts-on-hand. I've never manually edited /etc/fstab, so this should be a good learning experience.

The swap hard drive in question has only 130MB. . . not really good for anything else!!

thanks.
    Last edited by deBebbler; 01-25-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: grammar/clarity

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry, deBebbler, my pc's been on the brink. Not so good.

If you're still working on this, would you mind opening a terminal (as root) and running the following:
    Code:
    # cat /etc/fstab
    then copy and paste the output here. It would make it a little easier.

If you ever need additional memory besides the swap space and RAM, you can also create a swap file. It's a bit more work for the system to use, but it will work when need be. It (like swap partitions) can be turned on and off with a simple command as well.