Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, I want to be able to connect to the internet in the office. In NT 4.0 the settings for IE are "use automatic configuration script". Then I usually ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Connect to the internet by proxy in the office

Hi all,

I want to be able to connect to the internet in the office. In NT 4.0 the settings for IE are "use automatic configuration script". Then I usually log into NT with my user and password and after that I have internet connection when I use IE.

But in Knoppix, when I put the address for the script (http:// .... /proxy.pac), in Konqueror preferences - Proxy, i get the error: failed to authenticate.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Linux User
    cant you manually set the proxy settings in konqueror?

Linux Guru
    Try that, but my guess is that it will fail anyway, since you'd probably have to authenticate to the proxy as well. Are you using some sort of SMB authentication or something? I guess you could ask your sysadmin what authentication he uses.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yes, I can set the settings manually, but what settings should I use. I don't understand the structure of the proxy.pac file.

I prefer not to ask to the administrator because they won't let me use Linux here. Is there some way to know that method?

Thanks again

Linux User
    boot up in windows and see what proxy settings ms ie gets. btw: why cant you run linux? After all, the knoppix wont do any harm to your system?

but if you get an IP via. DHCP you dont need an proxy. At my father's i never used any proxy

Linux User

dhcp and proxy

Just coz your ip is given to you by dhcp doesn't mean that you can automatically access the net.

dhcp is pretty smart and if your network uses NAT on a gateway or something then you can pass the gateway value to the clients via dhcp. I don't think you can send the value of a proxy server address as it is possible (usually) to set different web browsers to use diff proxies. Or at least the setting for proxy server is generally browser specific.

just in case. DHCP is a method of automatically configuring basic IP settings on client machines from a central lease pool. You can generally set anything related to your IP config. and nothing else.

A proxy server sits on your network and recieves http, ftp, etc requests and then makes the request on your behalf on the web. Then it returns the results to you. It generally caches to speed things up but it is a very simple way of getting clients on the net when only one machine is connected.

First thing. I would get the file from the server and stick it somewhere locally. then make sure that it has the appropriate rights - I imagine you have to execute a config script. You might also check to see if it is in Linux format not a dos formatted text file.

The address of the pac file. http://blah/proxy.pac could be the same pc as the proxy server? Might want to try pinging the computer name and sticking the IP address in the proxy settings box.

If not grab the pac file and post it up here. I'm sure we can work it out.

good luck
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux Guru

Re: dhcp and proxy

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    You can generally set anything related to your IP config. and nothing else.
    Well, technically, DHCP is extremely extensible, so it would be extremely easy to add a site-specific HTTP proxy option and make dhcpcd (or pump or whatever you use) set the HTTP_PROXY env var to that value for all login processes.

However, your admin is extermely unlikely to have done such a thing, since this seems to be a Winbloze network (you couldn't convince him to redeem his ways? =) ).
    However, do as kpzani says and post the pac file here and we'll se what we can do for you.

Just Joined!
    Here you have the contents of my proxy.pac:

=========================================

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
    {
    if (url.substring (0,7) == "gopher:")
    {return " PROXY localhost:70"; }

else if (
    isInNet (host, "172.16.0.0", "255.240.0.0") ||
    isInNet (host, "10.0.0.0", "255.0.0.0") ||
    isInNet (host, "57.198.0.0", "255.255.0.0")
    )
    return "DIRECT";
    else
    return "PROXY proxy.delagelanden.com:8080; DIRECT";
    }

=============================================

Hope this helps.

Linux Guru
    OK, try setting your proxy directly to http://proxy.delagelanden.com (using port 8080), and see if you still get that error. If you do, it's probably some Microsoft proprietary protocol in the workings, and you probably won't have much chance to do anything about it.

Linux User

ms authenticated proxy

If that doesn't work then goto this site and read about this guys software.

you can download it via sourceforge. It lets other os's authenticate via an MS Proxy server that uses NTLM Authentication. Might be what you need.

http://www.geocities.com/rozmanov/ntlm/index.html
    download here http://freshmeat.net/projects/ntlmap...250%2C43%2C151
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast