Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just downloaded and burned as "bootable" GParted.iso and Fedora 10 iso. Changed my bios to boot first from the CD (since no option from DVD). Put in the GParted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bootable CD/DVD?

I just downloaded and burned as "bootable" GParted.iso and Fedora 10 iso.
    Changed my bios to boot first from the CD (since no option from DVD). Put in the GParted CD and it won't boot.

I'm thinking maybe the burn program isn't working right. It's CDBurnerXP Pro 3
    I have an old version of SUSE on this system which I can't even boot to anymore since it's been several years since I've used it and don't have the boot disk anywhere I can find it. (Hated the old SUSE - it just didn't work well)

The system is Emachines (I know; get a real motherboard) T2042
    I've tried changing the filesystem to "other" and preferred PNP OS to disabled
    and still nothing. I see the CD Player light come on briefly whild booting but still either goes to Win XP or just dies depending on how I setup the BIOS/CMOS.

Any insights/hints for getting going.
    John

You can try downloading a free program called "ImgBurn" for XP and Vista and it gives excellent results for burning CD/DVD images. Google it and give it a try.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can check the following HowTo for instructions on making sure that you properly download and burn the ISO file to disk as an image:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

It includes some additional options for burning software as well.

If it still doesn't work, maybe your drive doesn't like the media you are using. You could try testing the disks in another machine to make sure they are good. Also, try testing some other known-to-be-good and bootable disk in the current machine to see if it works.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryptyde View Post
    You can try downloading a free program called "ImgBurn" for XP and Vista and it gives excellent results for burning CD/DVD images. Google it and give it a try.
    Thanks to both of you; I'll go read some more and try your suggestions. I don't think I burned my other iso file with CD burner pro.
    I'll try just the Gparted on first before wasting another DVD.
    John

Just Joined!
    Thanks, both again. Wow ImgBurn doesn't screw around does it.!
    I burned the GParted disk in about a minute including verify and the 3.6 Gig Fedora in about 10 min at 4x and verify. The Fedora took about 3 hours with CD Burner Pro3
    The Gparted does now boot up and I am confident the Fedora will also now work.
    Cool
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

You can check the following HowTo for instructions on making sure that you properly download and burn the ISO file to disk as an image:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

It includes some additional options for burning software as well.

If it still doesn't work, maybe your drive doesn't like the media you are using. You could try testing the disks in another machine to make sure they are good. Also, try testing some other known-to-be-good and bootable disk in the current machine to see if it works.