Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just started using linux (newb) on a dual boot with windows VISTA. I need to disable data prevention execution whenever I do boot Vista through GRUB but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need To Disable "Data Prevention Execution" When loading VISTA through GRUB

Hi,

I just started using linux (newb) on a dual boot with windows VISTA. I need to disable data prevention execution whenever I do boot Vista through GRUB but I don't know what command to use nor exactly where to put the command.

On a single boot windows machine, all you would do is type the following at the command prompt and reboot:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Also, GRUB lists my VISTA boot option simply as "other." Is there a way to change that?

Linux Guru
    To change the "other" entry for vista, you simply need to boot whatever distribution of Linux you might be using, navigate to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, open that file with a text editor as root (administrator) and make the change.

I don't know what the purpose of "disable data prevention execution" in vista is but Grub does not boot vista. Grub points to the bootloader for windows OS', whether it is vista, xp, ... and chainloads them. Might be some way to do this in bcdedit as it seems strange you would need to do this manually every time you re-boot?

Just Joined!
    Yancek,

Thanks for the reply. I will try what you suggested.

"Data Prevention Execution" is one of those annoying "features" that microsoft tacks onto windows in order to "protect you" but if you half way know what you're doing with a computer, you don't need it. It basically prevents certain types of executable code from running from a non-executable memory location. In my case, I want to use ACL2 which will not run on windows unless Data Execution Prevention is turned off. Thanks to Microsoft, it's not very easy to Shut DEP off without editing the boot loader.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    EasyBCD from neosmart technologies is supposed to simplify editing the vista boot files. You might try downloading it and checking it out. It's a free download so you know it's not a microsoft product but according to the site, they recommend it.

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies