Find the answer to your Linux question:
Quote: So is it true that I will only need to specify a SWAP partition on the first install? Subsequent installed distros will see and use the same SWAP? yes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

[SOLVED] Assign Ubuntu's swap partition to FC8 install?

Quote:
    So is it true that I will only need to specify a SWAP partition on the first install? Subsequent installed distros will see and use the same SWAP?
    yes ! all distros recognize existing SWAP...

....again... Fedora is exceptional. it creates its own SWAP. you can direct Fedora to use existing...

.... casper ....
    How do I do this?

I have a 3.7G swap partition for Ubuntu, and want FC8 to use it.

And, FC/RHEL Bible says 2G max swap. Is 3.7G a problem?

3.7GB is lot more than enough. If you have 1GB or more RAM, you don't even need SWAP partition.
    Execute free command and check how much SWAP OS is using. Post its output here.

Its really easy to use same SWAP partition in multiple distros. You don't have to do anything for it these days. Installers of all distros ( including Fedora ) detect existing SWAP partition and configure/use it withour problem.

In case you have installed Fedora already, check contents /etc/fstab file and output of free command. Fedora must be using it already.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    3.7GB is lot more than enough. If you have 1GB or more RAM, you don't even need SWAP partition.
    Execute free command and check how much SWAP OS is using. Post its output here.

Its really easy to use same SWAP partition in multiple distros. You don't have to do anything for it these days. Installers of all distros ( including Fedora ) detect existing SWAP partition and configure/use it withour problem.

In case you have installed Fedora already, check contents /etc/fstab file and output of free command. Fedora must be using it already.
    I'm doing the install now. I just did root assignment.

I thought you were saying that Fedora is the only Linux distro that does NOT use existing swap, unless specifically assigned?

yes ! all distros recognize existing SWAP...

....again... Fedora is exceptional. it creates its own SWAP. you can direct Fedora to use existing...

.... casper ....

I thought you were saying that Fedora is the only Linux distro that does NOT use existing swap, unless specifically assigned?
    That was in earlier versions of Fedora. You must be quoting me from an old thread. Fedora 8 onwards work pretty fine.
    I didn't try Fedora 8-9 though but I know that its installer detect SWAP partition. I am using Fedora 10/Ubuntu these days.

Linux User
    Yup; I see.

No mention was made of FC version, and the thread was 2006:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...pensuse-2.html

My wireless card was not detected, when I selected 'add FC repositories'. ??? Only the ethernet connection was available.

???

No mention was made of FC version, and the thread was 2006:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...pensuse-2.html
    Fedora Core 5 and 6 were avialable in those days and Feodra installer had a lot of problems that time.
    One bug is still not fixed in Fedora Installer. It doesn't detect other installed Linux distros and one has to add those manually in GRUB Menu of Fedora. Fedora installer detects Windows OSes fine as usual.
    My wireless card was not detected, when I selected 'add FC repositories'. ??? Only the ethernet connection was available.
    No Idea. I would suggest you to start a thread in Wireless Forum. Read sticky threads first.