Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi i have got a server runnig windows 2003 server but its only a 30 day thing so when it runs out i am going to stall linux which have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

best linux for a server

hi i have got a server runnig windows 2003 server but its only a 30 day thing

so when it runs out i am going to stall linux which have been told is better for a server .

i need to know which is the best linux to use for it and it must be canny easy version of linux as i am a newbie to linux .

also my other pcs in the house are running vista . but my main pc i use is running windows xp mc

will it be easy to conect to my server from windows and if so what do i need to use
    thank you for any help you can give me with this

jetli68

I use Debian GNU/Linux.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

PuTTY Download Page

this is what I use to connect to linux machines from windows machines, you just have to make sure the linux machine has ssh enabled

CentOS is pretty good for a server and relatively easy to use, also ubuntu server is good too

Just Joined!
    i have downloaded ubuntu server will i be able to use putty like Remote Desktop Connection what windows uses so i can take over server when i need to and use it if i was in front of it ?

tia

jetli68

putty is for SSH access, with command line capability, you can enable X forwarding, provided the machine you're running putty from has an X server enabled

Ubuntu server by default has no X server, so you can not remote into it that way, servers don't need those things, they take up valuable system resources, if you would like an easy to use interface to control the server with, I recommend Webmin

Just Joined!
    Cent OS is a First Choice for Enterprise.

honestly I think just like everything else in Linux, this comes down to personal choice. If you want really really stable I'd say Debian, a bit cutting edge, Ubuntu. Basically any server OS in Linux will give you very similar features
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"