Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I get an error saying it could not look up internet address for dhcp-1015-44. And it states I can fix it by adding it into the file etc/hosts. How can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dhcp error when login?

I get an error saying it could not look up internet address for dhcp-1015-44. And it states I can fix it by adding it into the file etc/hosts. How can I do this?

EDIT: This is the contents of hosts...

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
    # that require network functionality will fail.
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Linux Newbie
    I have had that problem also ... I just set my hostname manually and had my IP reserved so I always get the same one. ( I work for the company that runs the cable service in my area (not the cable company but an ASP) ).

but all you really need to do is add the hostname you are given and the ip to your /etc/hosts file. You could set yourself up a script to append to /etc/hosts every time but that would get kinda ugly after a while.

I would suggest manually setting your hostname and then adding it to the 127.0.0.1 line of the file.

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost myHostName

see if that works for you.
    [ [ SykkN alloc ] initWithThePowerTo: destroyYouAll ];
    /* Don\'t make me use it! */

Just Joined!
    So I put

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost myHostName

On the hosts file?

Linux Guru
    That's not all. You'll first need to to set HOSTNAME=myHostName in /etc/sysconfig/network, and then run "service network restart" (as root).

Just Joined!
    Yay! Thx for the help.. Before Apache wasnt even working due to this problem but now it is. Two fixed with one solution .

Linux Guru
    You should probably change some things in your apache config as well. Now it is probably using your local hostname for redirections, which is bad for people on the internet (since that name doesn't resolve over the internet). There is an option for Apache to use the hostname that was sent to it for redirections, but I don't remember what that option was called right now. It's probably somewhere around the ServerName directive in your apache config files.

Just Joined!
    I got that stuff set, I used to use apache on windows. The only problem I am having problems with now is PHP/MySQL.... I have nooo clue if MySQL is installed cuz I don't see a MySQL in the services, but I do see a grec one...

Linux Guru
    See if you have an RPM based distro, check if you have the mysql-server package installed. In that case, you have it, but you'll also need the php-mysql package installed in order for PHP to be able to use MySQL. It's basically just an interface module between PHP and MySQL.

Just Joined!
    Where can I get the php-mysql package? I get this error with phpmyladmin

cannot load MySQL extension,
    please check PHP Configuration.
    Documentation

Just installed MySQL, and I have PHP on.. Buuuut I doubt I have the php-mysql package.

Linux Guru
    If this is RedHat, get it on RedHat's FTP or one of its mirrors. You could also look on http://rpmfind.net/.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast