Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been trying to get XP off my computer but i can't figure it out any words of advise i'm wanting to put Pioneer on my laptop...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need to know how to get XP off

I've been trying to get XP off my computer but i can't figure it out any words of advise
    i'm wanting to put Pioneer on my laptop

I don't understand the question. As long as you've backed up any files you want to keep, it should be a simple matter of telling the Linux installer to use the entire harddrive and it will wipe XP off by itself. Just out of curiosity, why Pioneer?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    I don't understand the question. As long as you've backed up any files you want to keep, it should be a simple matter of telling the Linux installer to use the entire harddrive and it will wipe XP off by itself. Just out of curiosity, why Pioneer?
    Well its eithwer that one or Fedora and
    dont know why pioneer but fedora is suppose to be one of the beginner ones right

Quote Originally Posted by garcia1615 View Post
    Well its eithwer that one or Fedora and
    dont know why pioneer but fedora is suppose to be one of the beginner ones right
    Fedora, Ubuntu, or openSuSE are all general-purpose distributions that are friendly to new users. All of those are also available free of charge, which if I'm not mistaken is only true of the "community" version of Pioneer. Pioneer is based on Ubuntu, by the way.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Fedora, Ubuntu, or openSuSE are all general-purpose distributions that are friendly to new users. All of those are also available free of charge, which if I'm not mistaken is only true of the "community" version of Pioneer. Pioneer is based on Ubuntu, by the way.
    Basically as a Linux noivce i go with Fedora then
    and i just burn the .iso to CD right leave in the drive once done then reboot and and boot from CD and select the drive where XP at to wipe it off

Just Joined!
    and i just burn the .iso to CD right leave in the drive once done then reboot and and boot from CD and select the drive where XP at to wipe it off
    maybe not quite as simple though

That's pretty much it. Just make sure you burn the ISO as an image, rather than just dragging and dropping it onto a disc and hitting burn.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    also i was on another forum and was told it was be better for me to run linux on a Virutial Machine in Windows rather than getting rid of windows the guy said it would easier
    but i dont know about all that seems like a little more work and more stuff on my old laptop and i just dont think i want to run it like that

Just Joined!
    That's pretty much it. Just make sure you burn the ISO as an image, rather than just dragging and dropping it onto a disc and hitting burn.
    shouldn't it automatically be an image

Linux Guru
    shouldn't it automatically be an image
    No, it won't be. You need to select 'burn as image' from whatever program you use to burn the CD. After you complete burning, put the CD in your drive and open it to see if you have multiple files. If you do, you should be good. If it's just one iso file, you need to do it over.

You could also do a dual boot and keep your windows until you familiarize yourself with Linux. Lots of info here and on internet on dual-booting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast