Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I'm trying to compile a new kernel. I've been trying to do this quite a few times now, and consistantly have the problem that some modules give me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Errors compiling modules

Hello all,

I'm trying to compile a new kernel. I've been trying to do this quite a few times now, and consistantly have the problem that some modules give me errors.

My current system is running Mandrake 9.0, with the 2.4.19-16 kernel, and I'm using the same .config as I have for that kernel. I've tried to get it to worrk with both the 2.4.20, and the beta 2.5.68 kernel, and both will stop at some point while compiling the modules (the bzImage compiles fine). So I'm wondering if it's possible I have the wrong version of gcc or something like that which is causing these problems?

Any ideas greatly appreciated. Currently I'm just removing the modules one by one that are causing the problems, but I would prefer to just be able to compile with changed settings and not have to worry about it screwing up half way through.

Miscreant

Linux User
    the mandrake/redhat (insert distro here) kernels tend to differ from the official kernels, which is called a "vanilla" kernel by the way, so maybe the problems is that you are using a .config for a mandrake-kernel on a vanilla kernel. also, please post the error message, not the complete one, but maybe the last 5-10 lines..

good luck

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kriss
    the mandrake/redhat (insert distro here) kernels tend to differ from the official kernels
    Hmmm... well I did run make xconfig after copying the .config file into the directory. I wanted to enable ACPI, which was not enabled when I installed Mandrake. I was hoping that would catch any errors in the .config file and fix them. Maybe not though. Might have to redo it from scratch.

It's hard to paste the error message since there isn't really just one, since I keep removing the modules that seem to be causing trouble.

I did check my gcc version and it's 3.2. I notice from a google search the most people seem to use 2.95 to compile. Might that be causing a problem?

I'll post the next error message that I get... 'tis in the middle of compiling right now...

Just Joined!
    gcc -Wp,-MD,drivers/net/.defxx.o.d -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=pentium4 -Iinclude/asm-i386/mach-default -fomit-frame-pointer -nostdinc -iwithprefix include -DMODULE -DKBUILD_BASENAME=defxx -DKBUILD_MODNAME=defxx -c -o drivers/net/.tmp_defxx.o drivers/net/defxx.c
    drivers/net/defxx.c:202:2: #error Please convert me to Documentation/DMA-mapping.txt
    make[2]: *** [drivers/net/defxx.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [drivers/net] Error 2
    make: *** [drivers] Error 2

Most of the errors are somewhat similar.
    Reading up, I also found a site that says using make v3.79.x (which is what's running on my system) is not good for compiling...

Miscreant

Linux Guru
    Try to do a make distclean in your kernel source, copy you old .config file back, make oldconfig and then make xconfig, and see if that works.
    If it doesn't, just try configuring the kernel from scratch and see if that makes it better (Yes, it does take time if you're not used to it... the first time I did it, I think it took me about an hour to go through everything).