Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to switch from using LILO to GRUB. The reason is kinda that the distribution I'm using (Debian stable, "lenny"), is kinda recommending GRUB over LILO. As you can ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB with Windows ME

I'm trying to switch from using LILO to GRUB. The reason is kinda that the distribution I'm using (Debian stable, "lenny"), is kinda recommending GRUB over LILO. As you can see that isn't a high priority thing as LILO works okay.

Anyway the problem is, this computer has a first hard disc with a very dated Windows ME installation of my father, which we still would like to keep usable.
    When using this series of commands in GRUB:

root (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive
    boot

Windows ME responds by requesting going to "save mode". Regardless or whether I choose "normal mode" or "save mode", a reboot is the result, instead of windows actually booting.

Is this a problem specific for ME, would it need additional commands?

Linux lives on the second hard disc and is happily booted by:
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb2
    boot

Am just curious whether it's possible to be able to switch to GRUB. It seems a more advanced boot loader (than LILO) should have no problem booting windows if LILO succeeds in it

Thanks for any insights, sorry if this is a dummy question

Edit: Actually, I now remember windows ME refuses to boot since this machine got extra memory added (now 2G + 256MB). As this isn't purely a GRUB problem as-is, perhaps the question should just be deleted; sorry for spamming

use rootnoverify instead of root and do not use makeactive.
    Code:
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    boot
    Am just curious whether it's possible to be able to switch to GRUB. It seems a more advanced boot loader (than LILO) should have no problem booting windows if LILO succeeds in it
    GRUB is more user friendly and powerful than Lilo and almost all distros are using GRUB these days. Its really easy to switch to GRUB. Install it from sources and installer will configure it automatically.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First