Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, in another attempt to install linux on my computer, I've managed to botch things up pretty bad. Using Partition Magic, I created a new partition for linux and then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't Access Windows Partition [URGENT]

Hey, in another attempt to install linux on my computer, I've managed to botch things up pretty bad.

Using Partition Magic, I created a new partition for linux and then rebooted and attempted to install Gentoo. However, my installation CD did not work, and i get an error message saying there was a problem with my OS. Now I can no longer boot up my original Windows partition. (AAAHHH!!!!)

I deleted the linux partition and installed WinXp on it, in the hope that I could access my old files, but its not letting me. Now i have almost 30GB of data that I can't get to. Is there anyway I can get my computer to start from the other partition with all my old files and settings?

I know this is not necessarily Linux related, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if im committed some forum faux paux with this post I apologize; things are a bit hectic right now.

Just Joined!
    Which version of windows had you installed originally? Try inserting your Win XP cd and choose recovery console when the option comes up. At the prompt type fixmbr. This will fix your master boot record and you should be able to boot into your first partition. I am not sure you can use this stuff with two versions of windows installed. Try it.
    If it does not work, do the following
    1. create a boot floppy for the windows version you originally had. You can do this at www.bootdisk.com in case you don't have a boot disk already. 2. delete your new partition with Partition Magic (the one on which you now have a new Win XP installed)
    3. Shut down the pc and place your boot disk in the floppy drive. Now boot. The pc will boot from the floppy.
    4. At the command prompt type fdisk /mbr and press Enter
    5. When the command prompt returns, remove the floppy and reboot.
    This should get you back to your original windows.
    And, by the way, if you want to install Linux again, don't create partitios with Partition Magic. Most Linux distributions allow you to do the partitioning during the installation itself.
    Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Just found another simpler solution.
    Insert your Win XP installation CD, shut down the pc and reboot.
    Once your PC boots from the cd, you will have the option to go to the recovery console. Choose recovery console, at the prompt type the command Map
    This will list the device name of all your partitions.
    Then type fixmbr device name
    device name will be the name of the partition where your original windows installation is located. It will be something like \Device\HardDisk0 and your command will look like fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0
    Reboot after removing the cd and things should work. Your original partition may show up as a drive letter like D: in your windows xp or you may be able to boot into in at boot time.

Just Joined!
    thanx for the help linuxfordummies.

and ill make sure to stay away from partition magic from now on

Just Joined!
    Satan Poops, could you please let me know if one of these solutions helped you to solve the problem?
    Thanks.

Just Joined!
    unfortunatley neither helped

i called tech support for my computer as well, and nothing they told me worked.

i had to reformat