Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by linuxfordummies My apologies. I was quoting the figure for swap that I remembered from a Linux book (Beginning RedHat Linux 9). I just checked again and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxfordummies
    My apologies.
    I was quoting the figure for swap that I remembered from a Linux book (Beginning RedHat Linux 9). I just checked again and it says the swap size should be about 2.5 times the RAM (not 5 times as I had said by mistake).
    Haha.. I thought that sounded a little high. Back on topic though, I'm not sure if SuSE requires a swap. I guess I've always used a swap just out of old Linux habit.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    How do I make a boot disk for SuSE? Is there a prompt during the installation?

If I choose not to install GRUB, am I right in saying that I can just as easily boot Linux from the floppy each time? (At least until I've figured out how to edit grub.conf anyway!)

Thanks once again guys

Quote Originally Posted by ece30675
    How do I make a boot disk for SuSE? Is there a prompt during the installation?

If I choose not to install GRUB, am I right in saying that I can just as easily boot Linux from the floppy each time? (At least until I've figured out how to edit grub.conf anyway!)

Thanks once again guys
    You are prompted to make a boot disk (as far as I remember) in SuSE. However, you do not have to edit grub.conf by hand with SuSE. You can edit your boot preferences in YaST. Configuration is the same with LILO or GRUB, just edit the line or lines you want and SuSE reruns LILO or GRUB for you and points out any errors you make before you reboot.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    You should always have a swap partition no matter how much ram you have. What I generally do is if the machine has 3/4 of gig of ram or more than I create a swap partition of 256 megs if it has less than that I create a swap of 512 megs. The thing with swap space is it should always be there but if you ever start to use it then you need to buy more ram.
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

Just Joined!
    During SuSE installation there's an option: Activate Boot Loader Partition inside the Boot Loader Setup. It's set to NO by default, should I enable this or not? HELP!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2