Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! Recently, I purchased a server off of eBay, and got it. I knew this would be a problem from the start, and looking for help. The server doesn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation on a server

Hi there!

Recently, I purchased a server off of eBay, and got it. I knew this would be a problem from the start, and looking for help.

The server doesn't include a CD drive. It comes with no operating system. When turning the system on, it says something about PXE.

Here's the link to the exact auction I won:
    Verari Server Dual AMD Opteron 2.0GHz 4GB 120GB IDE 1U - eBay (item 110352457320 end time Feb-19-09 18:00:00 PST)

Now I'm wondering, is there any possible way to get an OS on this? I'm sure there is, but I've never really installed any distro without having a CD drive.

I'm currently using an iMac, and I have Windows XP installed via bootcamp. The iMac was purchased new in September.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get this server an OS?

Any of your time, suggestions, and help is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

hi,

i hope that it is Linux that you want to install on it. if this is the case you can install the distribution of your choice on a flash USB (if of course that distribution allows it like many of the mainstreams do) and then install from the flash.
    Linux and me it's a love story

Just Joined!
    Hi there!
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it was Linux. I actually finally figured out how to install over a network via my mac, so I got it up and running

Thanks for your help!