Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi everyone. Linux Noobie here. I installed Mandrake 9.1 on one machine with the dual boot with xp pro and it went painless. Then after I got that up and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Won`t install on ATI machine.

Hi everyone.
    Linux Noobie here.
    I installed Mandrake 9.1 on one machine with the dual boot with xp pro and it went painless. Then after I got that up and working I tryed to install on a 98se machine I have. The install seems to go allright and it loads the OS it seems, but then I get a black screen and it asks me to sign in at a black screen (that doesn`t happen on the other machine) and when I do sign in I get a command line just like the Konsole window. I type in 'su' and get the line back [root@garage rukee]# I tpye in 'startx' and the screen goes black for a moment and then I get this screen. http://www.justwebit.com/sites1/42124/p8280038.jpg
    V_BIOS is video memory??
    Is it the Rage Maxx Furry card that is in there keeping it from full boot???
    Any help would be great!!

Linux Guru
    Try running xf86cfg and see what it says. If you have to choose a video card, try one of the standard SVGA drivers if the one for you actual card doesn't work.

Just Joined!
    I get back the same screen as before, sept the one line is changed.
    The line that is diffrent is the using config file line starts out with a (++) instead of (==) and reads: Using config file: "root/xf86Config.new"
    The rest is all the same.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Try replacing the driver with the "vga" driver in your /etc/X11/XF86Config. You'll find it in the "Device" section.

Just Joined!
    I`m sorry, noobie here,
    you`ll have to tell me exactly what to type in at the command line. I know to type in 'su' to get root directory, but you`ll have to hold my hand from there.
    /dev gets me nowere.
    Thanks by the way!

Linux Guru
    It's not very hard. Just open a text editor (I don't know which ones you installed, but standard ones include pico, nano, joe or emacs. vi might be too hard for a newbie, and ed most certainly is), open /etc/X11/XF86Config, look up the section that begins with Section "Device". In there, you'll find a line that says what driver you're using. Replace that driver with "vga", and remove any Option lines in that same section (not in any other sections!).

Just Joined!
    sept Ican`t boot into linux to open those text programs. I`m at the screen I posted earlyer, and the command you gave me (/ect/x11/xg86config) doesn`t get me anywere. Gives me back: No such file or directory.

Linux Guru
    Oh, I think you're misunderstanding. You have booted into Linux, and your system is up and running. It's only the GUI that isn't working.
    /etc/X11/XF86Config wasn't intended as a command, but the file that you're supposed to edit. Now that I look at your screen shot again (shooting it with a camera was pretty smart, btw.), I see that your system uses /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, however.
    The text editors I was referring to are text-mode text editor, so you need not get the GUI up to use them.
    It's also very important to note that UNIX (and hence Linux) is case sensitive. That means that /etc/x11/xf86config-4 is _not_ the same as /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, so if you try and use the former, it will not work.

Just Joined!
    okay, so please tell me what to type in to get a text editor, then what to do so I can check and edit that line.

Linux Guru
    That depends on what text editors you installed. They all have one thing in common, though; start them by typing the name, a space and the filename to edit. So to use pico for this purpose, for example, run this:
    Code:
    pico /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
    I think the usual arrow keys navigation works in all I listed before, so in that way you should be able to find it. Some of them use Ctrl-V to scroll down an entire page. I've only used pico and emacs myself.
    Then, just run "X" to try it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast