Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to start making use of an old old laptop that had windows 98 on it. I partitioned the drive to save the windows 98 install as the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub boot menu freezes

I am trying to start making use of an old old laptop that had windows 98 on it.
    I partitioned the drive to save the windows 98 install as the first partition, and then the second partition is the linux install, followed by swap-file partition and a shared (win and linux) file partition.

I have just installed Puppy Linux on the second partition and GRUB for dual boot.

The installation went without any problems, but now that I am rebooting, the GRUB menu that is displayed is just frozen. All the boot options and instructions (use up and down arrows to select which option to boot...) is displayed on the screen, but nothing happens when I try to use the arrows or hit enter to select one. After a few clicks it just starts to beep after each keystroke.

Using the puppy linux boot CD, I have been able to try some different settings on the menu.lst (default, timeout, etc), but nothing seems to make a difference....no default option is select and there is no timeout countdown or anything like that...just frozen screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linux Guru
    Some specs on your machine could prove helpful. Type of processor, its speed, RAM, video card, etc...

Use your Puppy Live CD to run command "fdisk -l" (w/o quotes, lower case letter L) and post output here.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.

It's a very old IBM Thinkpad (iSeries)...probably about 10 years old.
    It has a Intel pentium II Celeron processor, 64 MB of RAM, 5-6 GB HD.
    As far as video card, I really don't know what's in the laptop.

Here's the result from the fdisk -l:

device boot start end blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 244 1959898 6 FAT16
    /dev/sda2 245 456 1702890 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 457 464 64260 82 Linux Swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda4 465 592 1028160 b W95 FAT32

Does that help?

Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Check this Puppy Linux page:

MinReq | Puppy Linux

Might work if you can add some RAM. Check your /boot/grub/menu.lst file to see that the entry for Puppy root is (hd0,1). Use the Live CD to mount that partition so you can view it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the response. I didn't see the recommended system reqs before. I did check the menu.list file (the puppy root is hd0,1) and tried some different options, but nothing seems to help.

The weird thing is that it doesn't appear to be an issue with booting up puppy....I can't get GRUB to work. It freezes before I get a chance to pick Windows boot or Linux boot. Are there minimum system reqs for GRUB?