Find the answer to your Linux question:
Quite some time ago I installed Linux, Red Hat 9.0 I think it was, and chose to use Grub. I don't like lilo :/ Anyhow, many problems was had and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB Problems - Won't go away!

Quite some time ago I installed Linux, Red Hat 9.0 I think it was, and chose to use Grub. I don't like lilo :/

Anyhow, many problems was had and I didn't really use it much. Tons of driver problems. So when I had to reinstall Windows i decided to get rid of my Red Hat install so I formatted all the drives it was on. At least those that Windows could see and now, whenever I boot the computer just hangs and a single line is printed which says:

GRUB

Now the odd thing is, many people have recommended to boot up on the WinXP CD and go into the recovery console and do a fixmbr or fixboot ... but it doesn't work! The problem persists. I'm dumbfounded, I've no idea what to do and I'd hate to have to boot up always using the WinXP CD.

Linux Engineer
    this may be a bit extreme but....

go to http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm and download the .zip file. make a boot floppy out of it, restart with the boot flopppy and erase all data on your hdd. that'll wipe the MBR. then you have to reinstall XP.

i know there are boot floppy partition managers that are free and would probably solve your problem without a complete reinstall of windows, but i can't seem to find any on the web.