Find the answer to your Linux question:
What about with 256Mb, I'm trying to install Kubuntu 8.10 but it keeps having a kernel panic due to not syncing properly. Ubuntu says 256 is OK, but I just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

256mb

What about with 256Mb,

I'm trying to install Kubuntu 8.10 but it keeps having a kernel panic due to not syncing properly.

Ubuntu says 256 is OK, but I just want an OK distro with Kde. Any pointers?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

KDE4 is a pretty heavy desktop environment, and all versions of it thus far are rather bug ridden. According to this Ubuntu documentation page, a minimum of 384 MB of RAM are recommended. I'd recommend a little more than that if you really want to go with KDE4.
    oz

Try out NimbleX 2008. It runs fine on my 256mb laptop.

NimbleX - The New Wave of Linux ! - Download

And howdy and Welcome to LFO.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I have used the alternate install cd to work around problems such as this. While it works, the GUI will always be somewhat slow unless you install more RAM.

A Live CD installation will require more RAM for the install than what may be neccessary to use the distro. I agree that KDE is a bit heavy although it is my preference. On some of my 13 Linux boxes using Gnome is the best option because of the lower resources available. The machine that I am typing this post on has 512MB RAM with KDE 3.x and it almost always used about 350 to 380MB (give or take)

Just Joined!

Thanks

Thanks for all your contribs. However I have just found out this little old laptop has just 32Mb RAM! Looks like I have to shelve KDE. Never mind, it wasn't for me, and the person that would use it, would probably not appreciate a more complex Linux option.

Or try Xfce... Use Xubuntu